|| Chapter Thirty-Eight - Devon #2 ||

Devon's POV:

   My vision blacked out along with the ring of the dead signal. No way. No way did he prepare for that. He couldn't have.

   I slammed my hands down on the desk and sprinted from the room, "JOE, HARRISON, ACE!" As I rounded the corner by the staircase they met me, grinding to a halt a few centimetres from me.
"The signal is gone. It just-" I snapped my fingers, "-gone."

Harrison dragged a hand through his hair a screamed a curse, "What do we do? The signal could've dropped for any reason, they could've been found out."
Ah Harrison, always there to point out shit I already know.

"No, no way, the ATCD's were too well hidden, they're invisible to the naked eye, if you aren't doing a deep search for them in particular - and have advanced knowledge of their exact design - there is no way they could find out about them. Impossible." Ace said simply.
"I also made sure Meghan was kitted out with a backup device - not an ATDC but a throwaway phone. The only thing that could cut that off is..." he furrowed his brow, "...if they were buried about six feet deep."

The colour bled out of my vision and everything turned red.
"Buried alive?" I muttered, "that's new." My voice sounded like grit.

Joe piped up, "Remember. We have our backup plan."

He had a good idea, but the backup wasn't prepared for action for a good few days following their initial move. It'd take a lot of persuasion and grovelling to acquire such services early.

"I say call it. We can follow and wait for everything to blow up. Literally." Ace stifled a laugh as he said it and motioned to the office where the phone was on standby to make the call.

I thought on it for a moment; this could end badly, it could be all risk and no reward, in the chaos could Aria get hurt? Could Meghan and Parker get hurt too?
Would it sabotage her chances of finding her mother?

   There'd be no way of finding her mother if she was suffocating in a casket under a mount of dirt.
   I pushed my worries aside and stormed into the office, the phone rang a few times before they picked up.

   "Something has gone wrong. Horribly... horribly wrong. They're all in trouble, all three of them, and if we don't act fast I'm worried we are going to lose them all. I know I gave you a few days to prepare but I need you to get it together and get it together now because I'm letting you loose on wherever they may be situated." I said simply.

   Ace, Harrison and Joe had joined me in the office and were listening keenly. I sent the person to speaker-phone.

   "Tsk, tsk. You mean you didn't do your research on where they're going?" She droned, the usual happy-go-lucky lilt to her voice had disappeared.

I was embarrassed, "No. I thought that if they were expecting people they'd be suspicious of any spies checking the place out."

"They're spies for a reason, they're supposed to be good at hiding." She chuckled.

"Look, I didn't do it. I didn't send scouts. I don't know where they are." I admitted, "However, we sent them in equipped with ATCD gear, hopefully, the tracking membrane should still be intact, we can follow that using the set-up Ace connected to them." That's if Ace even prepared for the eventuality of tracking, I look over to him and scanned his face for a negative giveaway.

"Did Acey-Darling set that all up? After all, he only had twenty-four hours." She drawled, I imagined she was on the other side lounging in her room with a glass of wine, picking at her acrylics. Always at the ready to catch us out.

Ace nodded and made a gruff sounding noise, to my extreme relief. I felt a little bit of the stress melt away upon realising we can actually track these guys now.

"Yes. He has." God bless him, pay rise, bragging rights... whatever he wants.

She sighed, "Boring." then after a short pause, "You track their location and let me know, give me time though Devon... I'm hardly prepared at present." I could hear the smirk in her voice.

"Is that true?" Harrison said goadingly.

She laughed on the other line and replied, "Of course not!" the usual high-pitched, shrill voice returned and we all cringed away from it, "Guys, I got everything ready as soon as you made the first call. Put it this way; if you don't get invited to the party - you crash it." then she put the phone down.

The boy's looked apprehensive when I turned to them, "What's wrong now?"

Joe threw his head back, "This is going to end in more damage than necessary, you know this right?" Harrison and Ace nodded along with his comment.

"We've made the call - let's not forget it was at your encouragement. No take-backs." I said simply, "Now, Ace, track them."

Then we can release the feral 'Kat'.

I feel like we needed way more Kat, but I was saving her up. Hehe.

©️//®️