|| Chapter Thirty-Nine - Resemblance||

"What does this mean for us then?" I asked as calmly as I could manage, we were weaving our way through the crowds of all-too-familiar faces, some Dragons grimaced, some winked, some spat at us and some grabbed for us... they were an inclusive bunch of people.

Meghan hissed out a breath and swerved to avoid the grimy hands of some random man, he slurred a drunken curse at her and flipped her off as he stumbled away. I saw here fist tighten at her side, but she kept it together - rather impressively given her quick temper. Parker strolled along on the opposite side of me, keeping his expression stony and distant.

It was almost frightening how quickly these people can slip into a facade.

"Well considering his hand was hovering over the back-up plan button as soon as we left... it probably means trouble-" Meghan cringed, "-Jodie told you about Kat right?" I looked at her carefully, her face was always a picture of stone-cold indifference, but this time there was something else running through it.

Anxiety. Fear. Anticipation. Nerves.

"Yes. She did." I said quietly, I was uncomfortable in the company of Dragons when I was most certainly not one - the was clear to anyone who saw me. At least Meghan and Parker had the alias' of Abby and Matthew. As long as they were going by those names, they were accepted as Dragons. I was not. Under any name.

Parker groaned, "Thing is, he can't keep a cool head when it comes to you." he glanced down at me briefly, "Unfortunately for us, neither can Kat. If shit got nasty... at least one of us will come out of this in a hearse." he wasn't joking either.

"Kat is a good girl, but she loses the plot - she sees the bodies in front of her, not the life beneath them." Meghan inputted, "Trust me. She's nearly killed Joe and Harrison on consecutive occasions. That was training too." Meghan allowed herself to smirk but played it off as if she was directing it at one of the Dragons, "Although I'm almost certain the follow-up incidents were on purpose - she hates Joe."

"Why?" Kat was someone who piqued my interests, she was someone worth knowing about for leisure and for your own safety.

Parker let out a long whistle and shook his head, chuckling to himself, "Joe and Kat dated for like, four months or so-" Meghan snorted, "-Joe called it off in an argument, heat of the moment thing, they did it a lot, but he called her crazy. You don't call Kat crazy." he looked down at me and caught my eyes, for a moment he stopped talking and gazed at me. Parker then cleared his throat and continued, "She didn't appreciate it, lost her cool and swore she'd kill him. She never will, but 'accidentally' putting him in harm's way on numerous occasions is good enough for her." I looked down at my feet, my cheeks burning.

Parker. What you just did was weird.

"Yeah. Ok, well enough of that. Harrison's "hooker" Jewel gave us our room numbers, our first duty as qualified Dragons is to escort you to yours and ensure you don't leave it until Isaac permits. So follow us." Meghan said stiffly, leading me up a spiral steel staircase that was bitterly cold to the touch.

At the top of the staircase was a single white iron door, a small window in the centre of it, with bars covering the outside, "This is a jail cell." Parker mumbled and I couldn't agree more.

Meghan opened it up and waited for me to go inside, she grabbed my arm before I walked in and bent down close to my ear to whisper to me, "Once I shut this door, I've been told it'll lock, the only person who can open it again is Isaac - we can't stop him, from... from doing anything. I don't like you very much Aria, but I wanted you to know that us not doing anything doesn't mean we don't-" she pursed her lips, "-It doesn't mean we don't care, okay?" I looked at her carefully and nodded slowly.