|| Chapter Seventeen - Locked In ||

A few seconds passed. Then half hour. Then a full hour. We remained in silence, the only sound was the occasional disgruntled sigh that left Devon's mouth as he fought to kick the covers off himself.

Eventually, I felt sorry for him. Here he was, prone, and I was basking in it. I got up and yanked the blanket off the bed, folding it and placing it on the seat I was once sitting on. Devon watched me with a shocked expression. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly shut it.

"The word you're looking for, is thanks." I deadpanned, walking around the room and surveying the posters. They were your average medical posters, "got the flu?" And "if your pain lasts, act fast." I giggled at them as I read them.

All the while, Devon was watching me. His usual unreadable expression on his face again, I decided to give it a name. It's the best fitting one I could come up with, "Buttmucher". He was wearing his Buttmuncher expression right now.

"What did you just call me?" He asked, slightly amused.

Did I say that out loud?

I stammered for a moment, "I didn't call you anything." My childish retort earned a strained laugh.

"Buttmuncher?" He repeated, "I'm certain that isn't an illness.".

"Venereal disease?" I tried to save myself, however, it didn't work.

"Buttmuncher disease, sexually transmitted?" He reasoned, I watched him think on it for a moment, "then again... it fits." I laughed, hard.

Devon just watched me with amused eyes, but a downturned mouth. Does this guy not smile? Ever?

"So..." I began, "When was I going to find out that everyone I made friends with recently was part of you gang?" Devon averted his eyes and trained them onto a spot behind me.

"You weren't." He said simply, "although, I would've found out about Isaac one way or another." He shrugged, a flash of pain registering on his sunken face.

"But I still saw you at the mall, you still helped me, wouldn't that ha-" I was getting frustrated, my voice deepening with every word. I calmed myself down and took a deep breath, "Sorry." I said quietly.

"Don't be." Devon blurted.

The room fell silent, neither of us making a move to speak. I looked at him carefully, noticed his dark circles under his eyes, the paleness of his skin. His breathing was still shallow, and I hadn't noticed. Instead, I'd pursued him to talk. I felt bad, the guilt slowly falling over me.

Then I remembered, even when he was hanging- virtually lifeless- between two men who had severely injured him. He swore his protection to a girl he had known all but 48 hours. A single tear fell down my face as I recalled his words...

   "Aria- she needs help. She needs protecting, she needs my protection from you."

   "Aria?" Devon said slowly, "Everything okay?" I looked at him and laughed, even when he is prone on a hospital bed, he is asking if I'm okay. Devon frowned at my laughter and lay back.

   "Protection." I mused, "You really want to protect me from Isaac?" I asked.

   He sucked in a breath before looking towards me, "Of course I do." He said calmly, "I told him so." Devon shifted slightly, "and I am promising you." My mouth quirked up at the sides, "I always keep my promises." A small smile made its way onto his face as we stared.

   I was about to say something when Harrison burst through the door- I wasn't sure what I was going to say... but I would've thought of something- Devon shot his head up and looked to Harrison, any signs of kindness had long gone.