|| Chapter Fourteen - Call The Cavalry ||

He saw the look on my face, saw the terror that had embedded itself there. With a strained sigh he spoke, "They stabbed me in attempts at reaching a vital organ. They only nicked my lung." He rasped, which explained his laboured breathing.

   "Only?" I said slowly, "They only nicked your lung?" My hands began fiddling with the skin around the wound, it was a deep, jagged cut. I needed to stanch the bleeding.

   Devon rolled his eyes, "I have two of them." He reasoned. Choosing to ignore his statement, I busied myself with rummaging around my t shirts and vests in hopes of finding an old one I could use to place on the wound. Soon, I came across an old t shirt that was discarded at the back of the draw. I grabbed it and marched over to Devon.

   He was sitting up, well, half up. Admiring my fathers picture with an expression I couldn't place, "Who's this?" He said lowly. My eyebrows knitted together as I watched him glare at the photo.

   "My father..." I stated, snatching the photo from his hand and placing it down on the side table, he made a small noise and lay back. The remnants of that unexplainable emotion on his face.

   I folded up the shirt and placed it firmly on the wound, Devon's legs kicked up at the sudden pressure but he relaxed eventually, settling for a clenched jaw, "Hold it." I ordered, he glared at me but did as I asked nonetheless.

   His reactions were slow as he focused on moving his hand over to his side. Frowning, I tentatively placed a hand on his forehead. He flinched away, a shocked expression taking over his features. I pushed on, holding his shoulder as I felt his forehead again. He was burning up.

   "This will sound weird, I don't know much about gangs..." I began, "Do you have gang buddies?" My eye twitched as the silence ensued.

   "Gang buddies?" He said hoarsely, "You mean members?" Devon raised a brow and waited.

   I nodded enthusiastically, really, with his temperature, it was a race against time. Plus, the sooner Devon recovers, the sooner we can find my mother.

   Sorrow flooded me. I imagined how sacred she must be, how confused she probably is. My mother had never fell out with Isaac, granted she wasn't his biggest fan but she wouldn't ever imagine that he'd go this far-

   "Aria!" Devon shouted, groaning after the effort.

   I made a small noise, "Yes?"

   "Call them." He removed a phone from his back pocket and handed it to me, "the first speed dial." He confirmed, messing with the phone before handing it to me.

   I put it to my ear and frowned, "it isn't ringing." I moaned.

   "Maybe because you haven't called anyone? I didn't tell you the speed dial for nothing." He rolled his eyes and shook his head, muttering profanities under his breath.

   I called the first number and waited as it rang, it didn't ring for long before a familiar voice answered the phone, "Hey boss, what's up?" I froze.

   Boss?

   "I-uh-ahm." I cleared my throat, "Who's this?" I squeaked. Devon chuckled, revealing his bloodied teeth.

   "I could ask you the same." The voice demanded, "so, answer." He finished. The friendly tone swapped out for a more threatening one.

   I took a deep breath before speaking, "Look Parker, don't give me this shit, it's Aria." I heard raised voices on the other line before I interrupted, "Devon is hurt, he has a fever and I can't stop the bleeding..." I watched as the blood covered the t shirt and bled through his fingers again. A man shouldn't lose that much blood, something is really wrong.

"Aria, what's happened" Parker said calmly, I could hear orders being shouted in the background but I payed more attention to Parker.

"Look, just get here!" I said desperately, "He doesn't look good and I don't know how long we have until they come back..." my throat burned.

"Until who come back?" Parker pushed.

An animalistic noise came from me, "JUST FUCKING GET YOUR USELESS ASSES HERE BEFORE HE DIES!" I screeched.

I heard a choking sound coming from Devon, I looked over at him, half expecting him to be laughing.

Not expecting his eyes to flutter shut and grave gurgles to echo from his mouth.

This was a bad chapter, I know. Sorry.

Who likes I Know You by Craig David and Bastille because honestly, I'm in love.

©️//®️