Book 1: Secrets Are Deadly | Chapter 42

When we got home not that much later after Hayden had told us that we were all wanted back in the living room, Dad wasn't home, which seemed to be a surprise to Mom, but not to Ryan, Hayden, or I. My brothers and I seemed to have an agreement that Dad was probably avoiding Mom for as long as he could even more after what had happened today. It was almost midnight and I was starting to think that maybe Dad wasn't coming home at all. He was probably going to avoid Mom for as long as he could until he had decided she had cooled down.

But with the way Mom was right now, it didn't seem like she would be cooling down anytime soon. She seemed to be getting angrier by the minute as she walked around the kitchen, working on dinner since none of us had eaten yet. The more time that passed by and Dad didn't come through the door, the angrier Mom got about the whole situation.

I was on my phone, texting Ben and listening to my mom make some really loud noises as she moved around the kitchen. We were all trying to avoid Mom as much as we could just in case she decided to explode on one of us so my brothers, Natalie, and I had sat down at the kitchen table, keeping our mouths shut for the time being. I hadn't really wanted to leave my boyfriend when my mom had finally told us that we should go home.

I had reluctantly pulled myself away from Ben and followed my family out of the Morgans' house back to our own house. I had told Ben that I would text him as soon as I got home. I knew he was worried about me and having me out of his sight even if I wasn't that far away. I also knew that the first chance that we got we'd be back near each other again. And I couldn't wait for that moment. I'd still be in his arms right now if I could be.

"Mom, I know you're angry right now, but there's something that I want to talk to you about and I hope you don't take it the wrong way," Hayden said seeming to be brave enough to talk to Mom who seemed to be taking her anger out on the pots and pans as she got them out or moved them around to get something else that she wanted to use out. She was probably going to wake up our other next door neighbors with all the noises she was making.

"What did you want to talk about?" she asked actually sounding calm even though we all knew she was pissed, but her being calm wasn't a surprise to any of us. Even Natalie, who probably wanted to help Mom out in the kitchen but decided not to offer so she wouldn't get Mom's way and make her mood even worse.

Mom was never someone who took her anger out on someone she wasn't mad unless they didn't know any better and kept bothering her while she was angry. I had only seen her do that a couple times when she was beyond angry, like to the point where she'd probably explode on anyone who talked to her. I don't think she was there yet, but she would be the longer Dad avoided her and the situation. He was going to be in even bigger trouble when he finally decided to come home. I was going to try not to be home when that happened. But I'm sure that's just one of the reasons that Dad wasn't home yet, because he didn't want to get yelled at by his wife.

"I think it would be a good idea for Callie to come stay with us for awhile. I know Dad said he wouldn't hurt her, but I don't like the idea of her having so many chances of being alone with Dad just in case he changes his mind. I can't help but think that Dad's warnings are just going to be more dangerous, the more he tries to warn her into not finding out what's going on. If Callie and Kate hadn't left the address with Mrs. Morgan, then they would still be locked in that building right now. And none of us know how long Dad would have kept them there," Hayden said slowly like he wasn't sure how Mom was going to react to what she was saying since he was basically saying that he didn't feel like I was safe here in my own home.

"I think that's a good idea as well. I'm sure Ryan's safe, but I think I would like it if Ryan stayed somewhere else. I know you only have one extra room so I'll ask the Morgans' if Ryan can stay with them," Mom said.