Book 1: Secrets Are Deadly | Chapter 23

I didn't get jealous that often. Usually, it was when some girl was talking to a guy I liked, but I never let my jealousy get the best of me. Or at least I tried my very best to not let my jealousy get the best of me. It usually worked though since I had never let a guy that I liked know that I was jealous that he was talking to some other girl because that would have required me to talk to the guy I liked. And I pretty much never did that up until Tyler and Ben. Any guys before Tyler and Ben, I had never told them that I liked them.

I hadn't even told Tyler that I liked him. He had decided to come up to me and ask me to be his girlfriend. And since I had a crush on him, I told him yes to being his girlfriend. Then there was Ben, who I hadn't told that I liked him until after he had kissed me, so even though I was curious to know if Ben was texting another girl, I wasn't going to ask him about it.

If Ben was texting some other girl, then I wouldn't let it show that it bothered me. I wasn't his girlfriend and it wasn't like I was one of those girls that told their boyfriend what they can and can't do when I was dating someone. I was okay with any of my boyfriends, that I could end up having in the future, having girls that were just friends. If he wanted to be more than friends with one of those girls, he needed to break up with me first before starting a relationship with someone else.

And anyways, if I asked Ben who he was texting then he might think I have a problem with him texting other girls, which I didn't want him to think. I didn't have a problem with him texting other girls. I was just a little jealous that he was texting another girl if that's who he was texting since he could very well be texting someone else like Ryan.

I knew that Ben wasn't the type of guy to stray when he was with a girl. Nor was he the type of guy who strung a girl along, so I knew that if he was talking to another girl, she was only a friend. But that didn't stop me from wondering who he was talking to. You can't help but be curious about everything that the guy you like does. I always wanted to know more about him, what he was doing or who he was talking to because I felt like I didn't know enough about him and I just wanted to try and learn everything I could about Ben.

I'd only know who he was talking to if he actually told me himself. And he'd only tell me who he was talking to if he wanted to tell me, so I was left to wonder. I focused back on Ben again after coming out of my thoughts and watched him as he typed away on his phone. He stopped typing a few minutes later.

"My dad said he's working on getting as much information as he can in between cases," Ben said as he smiled at me after looking up at me once he had set his phone down on his thigh.

"That's great! I can't wait to see what he finds out," I replied excitedly. I would have totally made a fool of myself if I had made a big deal about who he was texting, which is another reason why I don't ask the guys I like or a boyfriend who they're texting.

"I can't wait either. Maybe your proof will be in there," Ben said. I sure hope that Ben's dad was going to find some proof just in case I didn't.

"That's a possibility, but I still want to look through my dad's work office. You don't know how to hack into an email, do you?" I asked remembering that Ben's dad taught him how to pick a lock so Ben's dad could know how to hack into an email. His dad could have taught him more than just how to pick a lock, but maybe teaching Ben how to hack into an email was a long shot.

Ben shook his head no and told me only his dad knew how to do that. And he probably wouldn't have the time to do that. He was already busy enough and Ben didn't want his dad to know that we wanted to get into my dad's office. Ben thought that his dad would try to stop us from doing that since it was a crime. But I didn't think it would really be a crime since it was my dad's office after all. I would just use that excuse if anyone else caught us.