Book 3: Secrets Are Broken | Chapter 44

Our first day of searching my grandparents' house didn't turn up anything. I don't think anyone was surprised though. We hadn't expected to find answers quickly. But we were still hopeful that we were eventually going to find something. We just had to wait until next Saturday before we searched some more since everyone had agreed that we could only search on the weekends and only on one day of the weekend.

All of us still have our lives to live and as much as we wanted answers, we weren't going to stop our lives to only look for answers. I wasn't sure if I had to work next Saturday and neither was Ben, but we were both going to try and get those days off so that we could be at my grandparents' house next Saturday to do some more searching again.

Since we didn't take a lot of time off ourselves, then I didn't think that Ben and I were going to have a problem getting next Saturday off.

"Ready to go home and get into bed?" Ben asked me after we had helped clean everything up from dinner. Everyone else was getting ready to leave except for Uncle Brad. He had to wait until everyone else left before he could leave since Uncle Brad was the one who was locking up the house. He had been the first here this morning since he had the keys.

"Yeah I am. Let me grab my things," I said heading towards the front of the house where I had left my purse and jacket. Ben followed after me so he could get his jacket and we could leave without me having to go back to the kitchen to get him.

Once Ben and I had our things, we said goodbye to who was still left at my grandparents' house and then left. I followed Ben down to his car and stood by the passenger side door until the car was unlocked. Ben and I got into his car and shut our doors at the same time. The car started up as I put my seatbelt on and once Ben had his seatbelt on, he pulled his car away from the curb and headed towards home. It was quiet the whole way home, both of us tired from the long day. I knew that it wasn't going to take either of us that long to fall asleep once we were in bed.

***

The day of Ben's birthday and his party came up quickly. Since Ben's birthday was actually on a Wednesday, his mom and I decided to have a small dinner at her house that day and then have a bigger party on the following Saturday. It wasn't a surprise party like we had done last year so Ben knew that he was having a bigger party than the one on his birthday. I was definitely glad that my boyfriend's birthday was the same month that my grandparents had died because it helped bring a little happiness after being so sad at the news of what happened to my grandparents. It also helped with all the whispers and stares that I was getting again. This time though I wasn't the only one who was the reason for the town gossip. It was all of my family.

They might have gotten it a little bit, but the whispers and stares had definitely increased for everyone in my family. There were plenty of pitiful stares from people because our family was once more in the news thanks to my father. Hopefully one of these days the last news about our family would be about my father getting arrested. I knew that a lot of people, the ones that didn't whisper as quietly as they thought they were, were hoping that the police would just end up killing my father when they finally caught up with him.

That was the only way all of this was going to be over for good and I had long been past being against that. There was a time after Mom had died that I didn't want anything to happen to my father because he was still my father at the end of the day.

I just wanted him to be put away for the rest of his life, not killed, because I didn't want to lose both of my parents. But after more of his secrets came out and my father did more things to hurt me and my family, I changed my mind. And now I didn't care if my father died or was sent to jail. To be honest I was hoping for the first because if my father died, I wouldn't have to deal with him ever again. And he could never hurt anyone again.