Book 1: Secrets Are Deadly | Chapter 27

"Well, if your father had something to do with the fire then there was something to find in his office that proved Nick was his son and now we won't be able to find out what it is," Ben said. I nodded my head in agreement. That was the only other reason, besides the fire being an accident, that I could think of why a fire had started in my father's office building. And if my father had something to do with the fire then I hope he didn't know who was actually in his office building. It was better than thinking that he did know that Ben and I were in the building and still asked someone to set the place on fire.

I didn't want to think about my father being the kind of man who would destroy anything or anyone who got in his way no matter who they were especially if that included a family member. Of course, Dad wasn't going to come right out and say he was the one who started the fire. He wouldn't even mention that if it was true.

Dad was probably going to blame it on someone else so he wouldn't get caught, which is just one of the reasons why he wouldn't have set the fire himself. He may have given the order, but he wasn't going to do his own dirty work. It would probably take a lot of fails for Dad to actually do his own dirty work. Whoever had set the fire would probably be in trouble if they didn't follow Dad's orders the way he wanted them to follow his orders.

And if things didn't go Dad's way, then whoever was helping Dad should watch their back. If Dad was willing to start a fire in his own office with his daughter and his best friend's son in the building, then there's no telling what else he was capable of doing.

There was only one way to find out if this was all true. And right now, all I could do to find that out is wait until Dad came home to see what he was going to say about the fire. If he didn't say anything about me and Ben being in his office, then I would have to find out a different way to find out whether or not Dad knew that Ben and I had been in his office.

As well as finding out if Dad was the one who was behind the fire. It'd probably also be nice to know who had actually set the fire because I knew that Dad wasn't the one who did that. He had been a meeting when the fire had actually started so there was no way he was the one who could have actually started the fire. Someone else had to do that for him. And someone else would have done that for Dad even if Dad hadn't been busy.

"Did you want to stay over for dinner?" I asked looking over at Ben breaking the silence that had come between all of us after Ben had spoken. I think we had all gotten lost in our own thoughts, trying to figure out what was the truth and what wasn't. Ben looked over at me as I had been speaking and nodded his head before saying, "Yeah, I want to know what happens when your dad comes home and I kind of want to be here when it happens."

"Good because it'd probably be nice to have a couple people who don't live in the house here when that happens. Dad might be less likely to get too angry with guests in the house," I replied smiling at him. He smiled back and then said, "I'm going to go call my mom and let her know I'm staying over here for dinner."

I nodded my head before Ben left the laundry room so he could go call his mom. He headed upstairs as Ryan looked over at Brooke and then said, "You should call your mom too, baby, so you can stay for dinner too. Callie's right. It'd be nice to have guests over when Dad gets home. It's not like he's going to hurt any of us, but he can get scary when he's angry. And with guests over then he won't get so angry, which means he won't be as scary as he usually is. I'm gonna go with Ben and talk to him after he's done calling his mom and then we'll be back to hang out so you can just hang out down here with Callie after you call your mom. I'm sure it won't be long before we're both back downstairs."

Brooke nodded her head before pulling her phone out of the purse she had hanging off her right shoulder and started to call her mom. They both left me alone in the laundry room and I decided to wait here until Brooke was done talking to her mom so she could have some privacy since I wasn't exactly sure which room she was talking to her mom in. I pulled myself onto the counter that was on the opposite side of the washer and dryer to wait for Brooke to come back into the small laundry room after she had finished talking to her mom.