Distraction

Chapter 3: Distraction

Peter's Point of View

Tapping, tapping my feet on the white marble floor, I slouched and looked around counting the same pretty faces smiling flirtatiously at me. I never liked courting balls. Specially this one where I know absolutely no one except for my aunts, sisters, mother and her friends. God this is boring; and it's killing me. Smiling at everyone who smiles at you like they actually know you.

With nothing to do, I decided to go to the main entrance of the card room to eavesdrop on my stepmother who just brought new faces in.

". . .Now on his 19th birthday, my handsome son Peter is enjoying his night and we are all here to enjoy it as well." My stepmother Portia pronounced straightening her back and forcing a smile across the thin red line below her tall nose.

"don't pleay naive with myself Beay, one knoh thou have come for ah reasohn. Goodness me!"

"Mrs. Ravenhearst." Portia corrected.

"Still heated as ever, Vivian?" Portia added sarcastically to a beautiful lady, who's seemingly very much angered.

Pressing my ears further on the opening of the thick rosewood door, my forehead started to wrinkle in concentration.

"I knoh thou aaart lying Portiah. noh tell us why have thou come to Londohn. Don't you know?" Another lady calmly interrupted, adjusting her white furry shawl.

"Dear Margaret, thou art really good at it. Why can't we have someone with such talent as reading thoughts in our circle?" Portia answered as things got amiss in my head.

Reading thoughts? Did I hear it right? That pretty lady could read thoughts? Wow. I mean how cool is that?

"What does thou want?" The Vivian lady asked firmly.

"I want Catherine's daughter! " Portia yelled as she crushed the glass of red wine she's holding. My eyes grew wider with the unusual sight. Did my mom want to adopt some baby girl? No way, I mean there's already so much women on the family and I'm left to be the only man to protect the lot.

"Catherine's Daughter is dead Portia." The lady calmly replied as she turned her back to Portia.

"Liar." Portia glared at the Vivian lady's back.

"Then who's that little girl named Charlotte Bridge that I just had a conversation with? She's a spitting image of her mother." Portia almost growled at her last statement. Literally growled. She might really want to adopt this kid.

"Thou knows perfectly what would happen if the main circle is informed about this matter. I want Charlotte Bridge. Thou will have no choice but to give her to me or better yet let the main elders decide your fate." Portia threatened mockingly as she flustered with anger, releasing that unnerving growl once again.

I don't know if I saw it right but I saw her eyes change color. From icy light blue it gradually darkened to pure creepy black. Is that even possible? Logically tis not. Tis really not but I swear on my parent's grave I saw it. Then I heard something crack on her hand.

Startled, my eyes stuck on my stepmother's hand still crushing the wine glass handle as blood oozed from her palm. I had an urge to barge in with my late father's medical kit but I had an inclination not to. I opted to let her be. Her sisters were there, her friends were there, and she's a grown lady to be taken care of by the birthday celebrant.

With that thought I actually remembered that this was my big day. I almost forgot. Peeping through the card room door for the last time. I realized I shouldn't bother myself of my stepmother's weirdness and she can take care of herself.