15: Friends

The songs I add before a chapter hint to the feelings and messages that will rise within it. It gives my characters a real voice. It brings them to life. All songs will be provided! :) And the playlist is on spotify!

S O N G F O R C H A P T E R : "Us"
B Y : James Bay

"Tell me how to be in this world
Tell me to breathe in and feel no hurt"

C O R B A N

"Friends... Don't kiss."

I pulled away from her like she burnt me. Maybe she did, but I wouldn't have minded. But now seeing the look on her face... I realized just how much I had messed up. I don't know what came over me. She just looked so beautiful in the lighting, and seeing her fight was probably the biggest turn on in my life. And now, I am sitting here like a child who just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, about to be scolded.

I can't believe I almost kissed her.

She brought a shaky hand up to her lips and touched them as if to reconfirm what just happened. I tried to sit idle and wait for her reaction, but it's proving to be one of the most challenging things in my life. She looks at me, her eyes wide as saucers, and I slowly stand from my sitting position.

"Ember... I didn't, I-" I couldn't form a coherent sentence, and from the looks of it, neither could she. The bond is going crazy. I feel it like a burning rope in my mind. "I'm sorry." I eventually whisper. She still looks completely shocked, but now, her shoulders are more slaked.

"I think you should go to Corban." Her voice is soft, just above a whisper. I run my hand through my hair. I messed everything up, and I don't know what I'm going to do to get her back on my side. But I don't hesitate to leave when she asks me.

I turned around to look back at her, she is still sitting in the same position that I left her. The war in my mind begins. Should I really go? Or should I stay and talk it out? She wants me to leave, so I should do that, but looking back at her, my mind isn't made yet. Stay? Or go? I don't think she notices that I am still here and once again brings her hand to her mouth.

"Ember?" I say quietly. Her head slowly looks at me, and I can practically see the gears turning in her head. I notice that her fists are clenched, and it physically hurts my heart. I did this. I made her uncomfortable. I pushed her when she wasn't ready. I sigh, looking at the ground. I'm just thankful we stopped in time.

"I'm sorry," I say again simply and turn to make my way back home. She doesn't yell or come after me. My wolf whines in my head. He didn't like this situation at all. I was finding a pattern, and I hated it.

I was always leaving her. This stopped me in my tracks. No. It was wrong, and I am not about to make it a pattern. I turn around and see her still standing there. She looks up at me, her eyes wide. I walk back over to her so that we are still a safe distance apart but closer.

"I am sorry that I almost crossed a line. But I am not sorry that I'm here with you. I don't want to keep leaving you, Ember. I am here, and I'm not going anywhere until we are both ready."

She takes a small step back, and my beast whines. I don't know what I have to do to prove that I don't mean her any harm. I don't know if there is anything that can be done.

"Come on, Ember. You have to be able to feel it. The connection? It's not overwhelming, but it's there. My soul touches yours as yours touches mine, and it is warm and bright and welcoming. You have to be able to feel it." My eyes are wide, I try to anticipate how she might respond, but I honestly have no clue. Ember is a wild card, something that everyone loves, but it's dangerous.

"Please tell me you feel something." I feel as if I'm begging. But it kills me that she can hide how she feels so well. I feel like I am the only one falling into the bond and I can't fall all alone.