Chapter Twenty Three

Start from the beginning

My skin was glowing. It was smooth and clear, contrasting with my golden locks perfectly. My hair was draped around my shoulder, twisting down my collarbone in a stylish but messy braid. I had a simple, diamond clasp at the bottom that matched the beads at the top of my dress. My make-up was simple but elegant. The dark eyeliner around my eyes enhanced the green, making them appear to have a sparkle to them. I must say, I was impressed with my own appearance. I couldn't usually say that. The desire to run and put my dress on was increasing with every moment. I wanted to feel perfect.

There was a loud knock down stairs and my stomach clenched slightly. Anna was here. It was time. Rushing down the stairs, I almost knocked dad over.

"Slow down, hot stuff!" He cried out, finding his feet.

"Sorry," I laughed, wrenching the door open. My jaw fell to the ground.

She. Looked. Amazing.

Her fiery, red hair was piled into a bun, loose tendrils spilling around her face. They were curled to perfection, contrasting with her porcelain white skin. She had smoky, grey eye shadow and her lips were as bright as her hair. She looked stunning.

"I know, I look hot." She smirked and I snapped myself out of my trance. I rolled my eyes at her, taking a step back. "You don't look too shabby yourself!"

"Cheers."

"Well? What are you waiting for?" She asked me, stepping inside. She brushed non-existent dirt off her shoulder and beamed at me. "Let's open the champagne!"

Two glasses later, my head was beginning to spin. I had just slipped the silky, smooth fabric of my dress over my skin. Anna's cool fingers brushed the back of my neck as she did up the clasp.

"Well don't you look gorgeous." She said to me quietly.

I grinned in response. I stared at myself and couldn't wipe the smile from my face. This colour was killer on me, not meaning to sound conceited. As expected, Anna looked like a Goddess. Her dress clung dangerously well to her petite figure. I couldn't take my eyes off her. In that moment, I wished we weren't arriving together.

"Let's go get photos before you get too drunk," she teased, clutching at my arm, pulling me from my thoughts.

She was right. I was already beginning to feel the alcohol take its course in my body. I had to slow down or I wouldn't be allowed in the dance. When I'm drunk, I'm not too good at hiding it.

The camera lights put me in a daze. I was grinning so wide that my cheeks were hurting. Dots dancing across my vision so I just smiled, unable to see exactly where the camera was.

After getting a thousand photos with Anna and some with my parents, it was time to go.

"You girls really look beautiful." Mum beamed at me, rubbing my arm soothingly. "Now Lacey, don't get too drunk tonight. That dress is way too nice to ruin."

I rolled my eyes. "No promises."

"Do enjoy yourself though," she said with a smile. She glanced sheepishly at dad. "I know I did at my senior dance."

"Ew."

Anna snorted and covered it up with a cough when I glared at her. Mum glanced down at her watch.

"The boys should be arriving within the next few minutes. Have you got everything you need?"

I did a quick scan through my bag. It was a tradition at our school for the parents, friends and relatives of the students to watch them arrive at the dance. Everyone was very cliché with the whole arriving in a limo or fancy car. Therefore, we decided to go in a done-up kombi. It was awesome. It was painted like it was the beach and was so realistic as well. As it was shaped in a ute, Carter was driving with Ryan in the passenger seat whilst Anna and I would sit in the tray. As mum and dad were coming to watch, dad was going to drive it after we exited, so that the next car could come up. We were definitely going to stand out, not being so traditional.