Chapter Three

--------------------------------------------

Dedication: JordanDyannDeems for the awesome cover! Thank you so much for it, it's amazing. :)

Recap:

"Lacey." it was my mother who spoke this time. Her voice was timid and soft. She pulled back from Dad's touch, looking pale and fragile. When Mum looked pale, you knew something was wrong. Her bronzed skin looked off-colour and her eyes weary. "Please. For me."

Clamping my mouth shut, I swallowed a lump that had seemingly lodged itself in my throat. Tears of frustration burned my eyes. My hands clenched in fists, I turned, striding from the room. I marched stubbornly up to my room and slammed my door shut.

My vision began to turn red at the sides I was so mad. I opened the door and slammed it shut again. This continued a couple more times, before my knees gave out, causing my body to sink to the ground in despair. Pummelling my fists into the floor, I grabbing my pillow. I threw it forcefully to the ground and smooshed my face against it, before screaming as loud as I could. My throat burned and my hands were aching in pain.

My father's words whirled around my mind, like a cyclone.

I was going to be staying, with my enemy, for a couple of weeks, possibly more. I drew my thighs up to my chest and buried my face into them.

If I was insane before, I don't know what I am now.

-------------------------------------------

Carter's P.O.V:

"Can't I just stay..." The girl trailed off in a whisper, biting her lip seductively, twirling her long hair around her finger. "A little longer? Even if it's just ten minutes?"

I rolled my eyes at her forwardness, knowing exactly the double meaning she was implying. We both knew if she did, it would sure as hell be longer than ten minutes. I am Carter Williams, after all. I have a reputation for a reason.

"Sorry babe. I have things to do, people to see."

She pouted childishly at me. She ran her fingers up my arm, trying to convince me otherwise, as though her mere touch was enough to persuade me. Yeah, she was no Lacey Adams. No girl could do that to me, other than her. I quickly pushed all thoughts of Lacey into a file in the back of my mind, which wouldn't be opened any time soon.

I snapped back to the present, as the girl's eyes roamed over my chest, her fingers walking all down my torso and sighed. This one was going to make it difficult to ditch. This is why, one should never do a booty call before it's ten p.m. It was an amateur move on my part.

"Look, seriously, you need to go." I said, my voice dropping from the charming tone it usually was, becoming blunt. I grabbed her hand, stopping it from sinking any lower and gave her a warning look. "I'll see you out."

I wrenched myself out of her touch, ignoring the flare of hurt that flashed in her eyes. Rolling from my bed, I chucked on a shirt, the closest one I found and peeped out the door, making sure mum wasn't around. After the coast was evidently clear, I stepped out and ushered her along with me, trying to be as silent as possible.

She paused, causing me to run into the back of her. I grunted slightly in surprise, before staggering backwards. She turned and stared up at me, between her long lashes, chewing at her lip. I resisted the urge to slap myself in the face repeatedly.