Chapter 2 - The arrival

"Hye-Rin!", my father shouted. I looked at my alarm clock.
"9:30 in the morning.", I said, and let out a silent moan.
I got dressed, brushed my teeth, like everyday. But, unlike every day, I took my suitcase from beneath my bed and my diary from my nightstand. I had used that diary since I was 5. My father told me to write down everything to help me process the pain of losing my mother.

I went downstairs and toasted a toast. I usually preferred cereal for breakfast but today was not a usual day; today was the day my father, Jihyun Kim, would be sending me to boarding school.
"Everything alright?", he asked and I nodded. Nothing was alright.
Deep down, I was mad. But I pretended not to be, as I would possibly never see my father again. The doctor said that the chances of him dying is almost 100%.
If it wasn't for my mom I wouldn't even be vaccinated.
My father absolutely hated going to the doctor and he believed, and I quote: "Washing your hands and eating regularly is everything you need for a healthy lifestyle"
My father always asks me things like "Have you eaten yet?" and he literally cares whether I washed my hands 10 or 11 times a day. Sometimes, he was really annoying.
We got into the car, I wanted to sit in the backseat. We had quite a big car, as my parents really wanted to expand the family. When my mother died, she was pregnant with a baby. My father decided to never marry somebody, though, because he believes that my mother is out there, somewhere.
I opened my diary. I had glued the last picture taken of her into the book.

 I had glued the last picture taken of her into the book

My parents were very young when they married. This picture was taken at the beach where she died.
I let out a sigh. I closed my eyes. Minutes, maybe hours passed. Then we were there.
Sun-Sky Boarding School was a huge brick mansion surrounded by a golden fence and stone walls. The building had 4 or 5 levels. A security guard welcomed me at the entrance and took my suitcase. He showed me my dorm.

Just as he left the dorm, I noticed someone jumping off the other bed.
"Hey, Beautiful", he said. The young man with blonde hair and purple eyes walked towards me. "You look surprised. You didn't expect to have a roommate, did ya? Haha" He laughed. His laugh was so pure.
"Don't worry I'm not gonna hurt you in the middle of the night" He said jokingly.
Was it even legal to put a boy and a girl in the same dorm?!
"H-Hey" I said because I wanted to act nice. But why was I so awkward!? Ugh! Gosh, Hye-Rin, why are you so stupid?!
He laughed it off. "Don't worry, you don't have to be awkward around me." He smiled. He was so nice to me.
"Let's Walk to class tomorrow, okay? Here at Sun-Sky it symbolizes friendship and trust. And I really wanna be your friend."
He looked at me with huge, purple puppy eyes.

I nodded and laughed.
I already made my first friend. Are you proud, mom?