Four

A/N: With only 3 chapters this story went #1 on Kaylor, I'm-

Thank you?!?!?! You guys are amazing and I'm so glad you're getting to enjoy reading this fic as much as I'm enjoying writing it. I don't know if you can tell, but I wasn't expecting this AT ALL.

***

Even though it was a little scary to walk through almost empty streets, the beautiful sky in that morning gave me some kind of comfort as I appreciated the warmth of morning light.

New York woke up in silence. Only the sound of a few cars joined the chirping of birds that I never had a chance to hear in this city before. The air felt infinitely cleaner in my lungs, even with the mask barrier as I walked along the sidewalks of the West Village.

In a few minutes I reach the nearest grocery store and in my mind I go over the list of items I should buy. Taylor and I agreed to bring some essential products for the elderly neighbors in my condo, since I was probably the only resident there under the age of fifty. 

The store has a considerable amount of customers, but nothing like the overcrowding that occurred at the beginning of the crisis. Still, a shiver went up my spine as I tried to keep a safe distance from people.

I tried to do everything as quickly as possible, picking enough food, hygiene and cleaning products for the next two weeks of isolation. I took the opportunity to pick up some of the things I often saw in Taylor's fridge, just so she'd feel more at home. I also added some drinks to the cart before I could think twice. While paying for the products, the only thing I thought about was getting back to the security of my apartment as soon as possible.

The walk back was just as quiet and introspective. My body seemed to be grateful for the simple physical activity outdoors, but my mind was focused on the reasons behind that lifeless New York.

Lifeless.

I spotted a newspaper lying on the sidewalk, the picture of people wearing masks in a bus followed the horrible headline.

NYC Deaths Reach 6 Times the Normal Level

I stopped in my tracks. Looking at the curve in the graph bellow it, my eyes stared welling up and I reminded myself not to reach for them with my hands. They weren't sanitized yet.

Suddenly my breathing became forced and I felt petrified of being alone outside. I was about to have an anxiety attack in the middle of the street.

Trying to suppress my sobs, I walked the short remaining path to my apartment, not caring about the tears dampening my mask.

***

"Karlie?" Taylor's eyes widened when she saw me enter the apartment with numerous bags hanging from my arms and teary eyes.

I drop the bags on the floor, trying to look away so she doesn't see me so shaken. It's useless, because her persistent stare eventually makes me look at her and the flow of tears seems to come back in full force, flooding my eyes before I can hide it.

"Aw, babe, what happened?" She comes closer, making a move to wipe my tears with her hands, but I'm quick to intervene.

"No. Tay, you can't," my voice comes out hoarse and strange. "I'm not safe, please keep distance."

Taylor nods reluctantly, giving me some space as she quickly climbs up the few steps to my kitchen.

I take off my coat in silence, throwing it in a basket and discarding the mask and gloves I had worn in the trash. Taylor returns to the room with a sanitizer spray in hand.