16. Back in the Janus Centre

(Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to TheGoodship_55 whose ONC2020 story, The Bertie Mansion, deserves more reads!)

Kai hurried back to his apartment, eager to return to Earth and the Janus Centre. The sooner he could give Fuller's photo to Ash, the sooner they could apprehend him.

He hauled the leather case out from under his bed and carefully took out the transporter. His finger hovered over the tiny red light, now dark and inactive, for a second before he pressed down hard, and the room filled with bright light.

Moments later he was striding through the narrow corridors of the Janus Centre, hoping he could reach his office without encountering Director Yuen, or indeed anyone else.

Yuen was not going to be happy when he discovered that Kai had broken the Project's strict rule of secrecy, but in Kai's opinion, Jenkins' murder had changed everything. Before that, he had been happy enough to pursue his solo enquiries, but as soon as the Butcher struck again—and so violently—Kai knew he needed help. Professional help. Difficult as it had been to tread the thin line between disclosing what Ash needed to know and what had to be kept secret, Kai still thought he had done the right thing.

Right now, he needed to get the photo and any other information about the Butcher that he could find, and return to Gaia as quickly as possible—before the Butcher chose his next victim.

Because, what if Kayden was his next target? Chances were high, considering he was one of only two males left on the list. Kai's blood ran cold just thinking about it. He'd never even met the man, but still....

Kai had been strictly forbidden to approach his Prototype, like everyone else in the Janus Project. Nothing was likely to attract more attention, said Director Yuen, than unexplained duplicates suddenly appearing in the same place. One "missing twin" story might be acceptable, eight would not. But Kai had found the temptation too hard to resist. He had given in and tried to catch a glimpse of Kayden at the New Year's Eve ball, that had been the nearest he thought he could bend the rules without outright disobedience.

"Ewans? What are you doing here?" The Director's voice broke into his thoughts.

Kai spun around, startled. Yuen was staring at him with a quizzical expression.

Kai gathered his scattered thoughts. "I thought it would be useful if I had a copy or two of Fuller's mug shot, the one showing his face full on. I could show it around."

The Director frowned. "I'm not sure that's wise. Do we know for certain whether they have photographic technology on Gaia?"

"They do. I've seen framed photographs on the walls." Kai paused, thinking back. "But I've only seen them in black and white. I'll convert Fuller's picture to monochrome to be on the safe side. I think it will be worth it."

Yuen nodded, slowly. "I suppose that would be all right. Are you getting any closer to finding him?"

"I hope so. Jenkins' murder is being thoroughly investigated by the police on Gaia and I'm hoping to tap into that. They've already interviewed his work colleagues. I'll run the photo past the lead detective and see if he recognises him."

Yuen frowned again. "Just be careful you don't give too much away. Remember, Fuller is our responsibility. We really don't want the local police getting hold of him. If you can't bring him back, you'll have to take care of him there."

Kai swallowed as he realised what the Director meant.

~~~

The Butcher sat in his bedroom, sharpening his knife. He was certain he had seen Calvin before, back on Earth, but he couldn't remember where. Although he was already certain of the answer, he put down the knife and went across to the wardrobe where his coat was hanging. He took the list of names he had taken from Russell's apartment out of the inside pocket and studied it one more time.

Kevin Russell / Ken Russell

Cliff Jenkins / Clive Jenkins

Emma Knowles / Gemma Knowles

Kai Ewans / Kayden Ewens

Tania Croft / Tanis Broadcroft

Maria Russo / Maria Russo

Jack Hargreaves / John Hargrave

Sophie Wetherill / Sofia Weatherill

None of them looked or sounded remotely like Calvin. So his other guess must be correct, he had stumbled across another double, one that wasn't on the list. If only he could remember where he'd seen that face before. Was that man another threat, or not?

He looked at the list again. Two men, four women. Eeny, meeny, miny, moe... He chuckled softly.

Who was he going to take out next? Not that he was sexist—he chuckled again—but he really didn't think the women would be much of a threat to him. He flexed his hands, imagining them closing around a slender throat.

He would find out where Ewens and Hargrave lived first, and then wait a few days. Maybe. He was pretty sure he'd gotten away with Jenkins' murder, but it would be wise to let the heat die down before he struck again, wouldn't it?