Chapter Thirty-Five: An Impala, a Yukon, and a Brother

Start from the beginning

But of course the voice didn't take orders from him very well. How do you plan to get in there without a ticket?

That was a valid question.

He knew that it would be impossible to convince the ticket collector and security at the front that he was Dimitri Hale's long lost brother. Heck, he still had trouble believing it.

Dim music flowed to his ears, indicating that the show was back on. A quick glance at his pocket watch showed that the concert had started over an hour ago. He didn't have the slightest idea how long these types of shows typically lasted, but he was pretty certain that about half of the show was done already. Yet, hundreds of people still lined up outside to try to get in.

Freaking great. If they weren't getting in, he might as well have stayed in town and taken some more of Gavin's verbal beating.

A collective gasp caught his attention as he followed the gazes of the dedicated fans in front of him to the huge screen on the side of the building. Sometime during his mental plans to get inside Teagan had missed the fact that there was a perfectly good screen to watch the show from. He'd also managed to overlook the drama that broke loose halfway through the start of a new song.

Dimitri's mysterious blonde, the same woman everyone had been so obsessed with unmasking, wasn't just any homewrecker. She was the wife he'd been hiding from the world!

There was a very loud mental gasp. Holy Cheese Quesadillas, you two are related!

Teagan watched with an amused half smile on his face as his newly discovered sister-in-law bolted from the stage with Dimitri Hale hot on her heels. Yeah, that looked a little familiar. Though the quick vision of Rainy running from him in the library made his chest hurt, he had to admit that the voice in his head had a point.

It seemed that the wealth and the home they'd grown up in hadn't mattered. In the end, they both hurt the women they loved.

xXx

Teagan hadn't bothered to wait in line after the scene he'd witnessed. In light of Dimitri Hale's own problems, it hadn't seemed wise to spring his surprise appearance on the man as well.

You're so considerate.

Also, it seemed like the voice in his head was determined to annoy him whether he decided to meet his half-brother or not. I don't need this right now.

You never need the voice of reason, do you?

There was a low blow. If he'd listened to reason, he'd have been three semesters into the psychology program at Menlo College. He'd have left Granite Woods two years ago with the money Mary Hale had wanted to give him by way of an apology.

He'd never have run into Rain Sullivan, reigning Ice Queen of Granite Woods, at that awful party she waltzed into unannounced.

And though the thought of never having met her caused a tightness in his chest, he knew that if he'd listened to reason then, he'd have spared them both a heck of a lot of pain.

Teagan cursed himself for being sentimental now when it would serve no purpose. With an angry shake of his head, he retraced his steps back towards where he'd parked.

He'd just gotten into the old car Grandma Santos let him borrow when all hell broke loose.

In the same instant Teagan turned the key in the ignition, he spied a middle-aged woman in a long checkered coat crossing the street. At any other time, he wouldn't have stopped to even register the strangers around him. But tonight wasn't just any old day in the crappy life of Teagan Miller.