◇chαptєr thírtч-єíght◇ ∂αиgєяσυѕ ℓιαιѕσиѕ

AFTER HER SISTER fell asleep, Braelynn slipped out from under her and quietly exited the room

AFTER HER SISTER fell asleep, Braelynn slipped out from under her and quietly exited the room. She went to the kitchen to get a drink when her phone began vibrating in her pocket. She pulled it out and a small smile graced her face upon seeing the caller ID across the screen.

Klaus.

"Hello?" Braelynn answered, eyes darting around the kitchen as she looked for a cup.

"Brae?" Klaus responded, clearing his throat when he realized how shaky his voice sounded. "Are you at your apartment?"

"I'm not, I'm at my mom's place," Braelynn said, stopping in her movements when she heard how he sounded. "But I could be there in no time if you're there. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Klaus said, his response sounding way too rehearsed for Braelynn to fully believe him. "It's nothing. Is Caroline okay?"

Knowing he was trying to change the topic, Braelynn sighed. "She will be. Her dad just died but she knows she's not alone so she'll be okay. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine," Klaus was more forceful this time with his response, closing his eyes and gritting his teeth as he remembered who he was talking to. He didn't want to take it out on her. "Listen, I just needed to hear your voice. I have to go now but Brae...promise me you'll stay safe."

"I promise," Braelynn told him with furrowed brows, worry engulfing her being. She knew that Klaus was not okay and from the way he was speaking, she wondered what happened to him. She knew he wouldn't open up to her, not right now at least and so she didn't push him. "It's late but I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay. Goodnight, Braelynn."

"Goodnight, Klaus," Braelynn hung up the phone.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The next morning, Braelynn went back to her apartment. She was going to stay with Caroline but her younger sister insisted she would be okay without her there and so she left, promising to check up on her later.

Approaching her apartment door, her brows furrowed upon seeing a box on the floor along with an envelope. She picked both items up and stepped inside her apartment, locking the door behind her.

She walked to her bedroom before opening the envelope, eyes flitting rapidly across the page as she read it over.

It was an invitation to the Mikaelson Ball.

Braelynn smiled and shook her head. She turned the paper around, her smile only growing as she read the note on the back.

'Save me a dance? -Nik'

Putting the invitation down, she glanced at the box. Upon opening it, she saw the most beautiful diamond bracelet accompanied by a red dress. She pulled out the dress from the box and held in a gasp as she held it in front of her, admiring how beautiful it was. Looking back at the box, she saw a small piece of paper, and picked it up, reading it over.