◇chαptєr єíght◇ кαтєяιиα

THE NEXT DAY, BRAELYNN WOKE UP EARLY, SO MUCH SO THAT THE SUN HADN'T EVEN RISEN

THE NEXT DAY, BRAELYNN WOKE UP EARLY, SO MUCH SO THAT THE SUN HADN'T EVEN RISEN. She was tired and her head hurt, but she didn't feel like staying in bed. So after picking up an outfit, changing, washing her teeth and washing her face, she left the house without waking up her sister or her mother.

It was still dark out, and it was chilly, but Braelynn didn't care as she walked through the streets of Mystic Falls. 

She was thinking about that dream she had when she had been knocked out the day before. She was recalling how the woman she called mother in the dream had personally dropped her off at the Forbes' house. All this time, Liz had told Braelynn that she had adopted her and picked her up.

Shaking her head, Braelynn stuffed her hands into her pockets. She would just have to ask her mom about it later.

Braelynn looked both ways despite the street being empty and crossed the street, going to her favorite bookstore in town. Luckily for her, it was already open.

She walked in and greeted the owner, walking further in and running her hands through the spines of the books, hoping to find one that caught her attention. 

Braelynn had been looking through the old literature section when an accented voice called out from behind her, saying, "I must say, most of those books are very well written. I have read them and thoroughly enjoyed them myself."

She turned around with a gasp to see Elijah standing a few feet behind her, his eyes skittering across the books. He let his eyes fall on her face and gave her a small smile. Braelynn gulped, yet didn't run away as he approached her.

"I apologize for how uncivilized I acted yesterday," Elijah said, brushing some dust off his suit. "You must understand, I had to collect Elena. You were unfortunately caught in the middle. Yet I did admire your loyalty and bravery. Tell me, were you not aware I could've killed you if I wanted to?"

"I was fully aware," Braelynn said, turning her back to him as she looked through the books once again. "I just didn't really care if you had killed me at that moment. Call it stupid, I don't really care. I just knew that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened to Elena while I was there and I didn't try helping her."

"I see," Elijah nodded, watching as she picked out a book, only to place it back on the shelf. "And are you not afraid off me at this very moment? Why haven't you tried contacting one of your friends to let them know I'm alive?"

"I figured that if you wanted me dead, I already would've been," Braelynn shrugged her shoulders. "Plus, I doubt that any of my friends stood a chance against an original so why call them and potentially put their lives in danger."

Elijah tilted his head and let a small smile fall on upon his lips. Most people he met would have already been shaking in fear, begging for their lives at the sight of an original, yet, this young woman stood in front of him, unbothered. He found it amusing and kind of refreshing.