Chapter Seventy-Two

Start from the beginning

I chuckle, taking a bite of toast and eggs as Blossom babbles on.

"I was initially sort of sad when I woke up and you weren't still in bed, but then I smelled the food and it made me really happy. And then I realised that you had wrapped me up in this blanket and it made me even happier," Blossom says dreamily, spearing a blueberry with her fork before popping it into her mouth.

"So you're feeling better this morning, honey? I know that last night was hard for you," I ask Blossom gently, hoping that this conversation doesn't make her cry.

She tenses slightly, and I watch as she pops a piece of watermelon into her mouth, chews, and swallows, before turning to look at me. "Yeah. I feel a little bit better. I've just had a rough month. It was the last month of school, I started a new job, and then I found out about my fertility issues and I felt like I didn't have anybody to talk to."

I frown. "You haven't told Kennedy. She joked about you needing to make sure not to get pregnant last night, and she wouldn't have said that if she knew."

Blossom's smile turns sad. "You're right. I haven't told her. You really are the first person that I've told."

One hand is still holding my fork, but I reach out with my free hand to hold Blossom's face, hopefully a gesture that gives her some comfort. "You know that you can call me whenever you want to talk, right? I promise that I'll listen and stay on the phone with you as long as you want, whenever you need me, honey."

Blossom blinks several times, as though she's suddenly holding back tears.

And then, quietly, she says, "Okay. I promise that I'll call you the next time that something like this happens."

I smile widely, going back to my food not because I'm particularly eager to eat, but because I don't want to continue conversing with Blossom until she eats all of her own breakfast.

Last night, I couldn't help but to notice that Blossom's lost weight. Her ribs are much more visible than they ever were, and even her dainty wrists felt even tinier than before. I tried to not dwell on the matter too long in the moment, but honestly?

I'm fucking scared for her.

I end up finishing my food way before Blossom, but I sit in silence beside her as she nibbles on her eggs and toast. Once her plate is cleared, I stand up and collect our dishes, head to the sink, and rinse them off before dropping everything into the dishwasher.

Blossom continues to pick at the bowl of fruit, and when she looks up at me, our eyes meet and I smile at her. "Do you want me to put the kettle on and make you a cup of hot chocolate?"

Blossom briefly looks away from me, shyly, but when she turns back to me she's grinning impossibly wide. "Yes, please. Thank you, Bryce."

"No problem, baby," I respond with a smile, grabbing the kettle off the stove to fill it up with water and then place it on one of the burners.

It's just as I'm turning on the stove that Blossom asks me, still acting shy, "Bryce? I wish that I could stay with you all day but I have work at three o'clock. Do you think that we can hang out here for a little bit and then you could drive me to my dorm so that I can get changed before work in a few hours?"

Her eyes meet mine again, and she bites down on her lower lip in anticipation.

Adorable. So fucking adorable.

"Sure, Blossom. Whatever you need me to do, I'll do it. Where are you working right now?" I respond, trying not to stare too hard at the cute quirk of her lips.