Chapter 62: Athea and Zendala

Start from the beginning

In the middle of the pavilion stood their father with his back turned towards them. There was no furniture but a lot of white chrysanthemums mixed with white tulips, which seemed to cover almost the whole pavilion. Seungmin never knew those type of flowers could grow around pillars until now. The floor was covered by the flowers too but Seungmin also noticed a symbol on the ground of the pavilion but he had to get closer to identify it.

Seungmin ripped himself out of his trance by shaking his head and turning towards Byungho, who was looking at the pavilion like he had seen a ghost. His dark eyes with the golden glimmer were still fixed on the pavilion while his black wings, which were still visible, slowly came forward like they wanted to protect Byungho from an incoming attack. Seungmin immediately placed himself between his brother and the pavilion.

"Byungho-hyung snap out of it", Seungmin said rather loudly, startling his brother in the process. Byungho's black wings stopped their motion and slowly began to fold themselves into their previous positions.

"I'm sorry. I just ...", he wanted to explain but trailed off with grief reflecting itself in his eyes. Seungmin knew who this was about, which also let his heart ache. Something must have reminded Byungho of Eve. There was no other explanation.

"Come on. We need to talk to father", Seungmin mumbled and reached his hand out for Byungho to grab. Almost automatically did the older grab the redhead's hand and let himself be lead towards the pavilion where their father was seemingly already waiting for them.

He had turned around when Seungmin had told Byungho to snap out of his trance. To the surprise of the two young Kims their father neither had his confident aura surrounding him nor his signature grin on his lips. It almost seemed like he was regretting something.

"Let me guess. You want to know what I know about Zendala?", Lucifer asked when Seungmin and Byungho entered the pavilion. Seungmin had anticipated, that his father would be well aware of the situation. After all, he was an all-knowing creature even as the devil.

"Yes, but we especially want to know why Athea knew her", Seungmin answered, quickly glancing at the symbol on the floor of the pavilion before he met his father's eyes. Even with this quick glance Seungmin could identify the symbol. It was the main control point of the barriers, which protected the mansion. A lot of other ones were scattered around the house, which meant Lucifer was currently working on the barriers but also preparing for the teleportation of the whole mansion.

Right now, getting information out of his father was more important than pondering over the mansion's barriers and the system behind it, so Seungmin let his whole attention focus on Lucifer. The devil looked from Seungmin to Byungho for a brief moment before sighing and turning his head to look over the garden, which was dunked into the faint orange light of the slowly disappearing sun.

"Athea and Zendala were friends in the past but they also trained magic together. As far as I know they lost contact years ago, meaning I never knew her personally", the devil explained, using a neutral tone, which didn't reveal any special emotions. Seungmin knew his father couldn't lie just like an angel, so he figured Lucifer really didn't know Zendala and never was much interested in her. Still, he had to know a little bit more.

"Did Athea ever mention her real name?", Seungmin continued, keeping his eyes fixed onto his father. Lucifer shook his head and turned his head back to his sons. There was no special emotion displayed in his eyes, which was something Seungmin didn't particularly like because it made it difficult to read his father.

"Athea never mentioned Zendala's real name. She only referred to her as an old friend, who worked with her", he answered still using this neutral tone.