Chapter 18

Taehyung shut the door behind him and fell back against the wall beside it, weak, trembling legs unable to support himself. He closed his eyes and took in a slow, measured breath through his nose, exhaling slowly and trying to ignore the dizzying pulse of his heart crashing over his ears and threatening to burst from his ribcage. He clutched his chest and dug his fingers into his skin, breath hitching on a tiny note of despair, an ugly whisper giving voice to the unbearable pain coursing through his body and numbing his limbs. He knew it would hurt. He'd known since several months ago. Maybe it was from when he saw the moonlight dipping over Jungkook's face and washing it silver, and the words "I love you" had tumbled out of his lips so easily and naturally it'd scared him. Maybe it was even from when he first saw Jungkook smile.

But he hadn't expected it to hurt this much.

Taehyung swallowed grittily and clutched his chest harder, trying desperately to calm himself down, think of something that deviated from the pain and sheer panic starting to surface. His heart rate was speeding up until he was drawing in quick, heaving breaths that did nothing to elevate the iron-like pressure weighing down on his chest and constricting his lungs. It was too much, everything that had happened in the last couple of months was too much. His nerves were shot, he'd constantly been on edge and on the verge of snapping and breaking down for far too long, and he could barely suppress the scream that was battling its way out. The pain beating at him now only served as a catalyst to push him further towards tipping over that edge. Despite his best efforts his mind flickered back to the first time he'd seen and approached Jungkook all those months ago.

"Taehyung, you got new prey."

"Can you not word it like that, boss?" Taehyung drawled but grinned, feeling excitement flaring up at the prospect of another task. A task of deception and lies sweet as honey, luring in some other poor, poor unsuspecting gambler, with hooded, flirty eyes full of promises and sinful words to ensnare their mind solely on him and his body. Tricking some other poor bastard, playing with them and making sure they kept coming to the casino until they were too immersed in this world and could no longer leave. Then Namjoon would set the ball rolling, destroying their life with debt, before introducing the horrors of a powerful, heartless mob. Taehyung guessed he could call what he did - seducing. What Taehyung was best at, and quite enjoyed, being the dick he was becoming. It was a little sad sometimes, when he could tell the beginnings of true feelings starting to emerge in his victims. That or if they'd completely fallen for him, which had happened a couple of times before. He'd just flashed a charming smile and reminded them gently that he was only in it for sex, but for some reason that didn't always crush their hopes and they remained utterly, utterly trapped between Taehyung's fingers.

It was fun. And Taehyung scared himself sometimes, thinking about it. He hadn't expected, in fact he'd subconsciously dreaded turning out like this when he'd first...

"Who is the unlucky bastard this time? Praying for the poor soul. As long as they're not married, as soon as Taehyung gets to them, it's game over. They're not ever leaving." Jimin spoke with a light, relaxed smile and shot Taehyung a look to which Taehyung just winked in response. He guessed he had a bit of a bad reputation, but nobody ever believed that when they first started talking to him. Perks of having a bright, seemingly easygoing and fun nature, he supposed.

"It's the guy we've been focusing on. Jeon Jungkook." Seokjin answered mildly and Taehyung paused, mixed feelings turning over in his mind. He glanced at Jimin to see that he'd dropped his gaze and his jaw was clenched, sudden tension gathered around him at the mention of his best friend. Taehyung bit his lip, knowing that Jimin didn't want to set his friend up, and hadn't even wanted to bring this Jungkook to the casino or introduce him to cards in the first place - but orders were orders.