Chapter 50

Joe

I woke up and found myself in an unfamiliar atmosphere. It felt as if someone just ripped out my lungs and beat me to the pulp. Every breath I took would hurt more with the next. Where was I? My head didn't start thumping and if I moved, I felt an immense ammount of pain almost everywhere. I opened my eyes up a little more. I saw cuts all over my arms and an IV and other needles sticking in me. One leg was covered with a blanket while the other was hanging from a sling to keep it elevated. I guess I broke my leg. I would try to move to get comfy on the bed but it would hurt too much. What happened? I didn't remember much and if I thought about it for too long I would get a headache. My memory was all fogged up. I looked at my left arm and saw that was bandaged up too. Where's Demi? She wasn't in this room with me. I didn't remember much of what happened to her. I just wanted her here with me. What day was it? It felt as if I've been sleeping for years and I just woke up from a coma. I didn't remember getting here and I don't remember how or why I'm here. I looked around the room and saw my parents sleeping on the couch with Frankie in between them. Kevin was sleeping in a single chair and Nick was leaning against the wall. They all looked restless. I tried to speak but every time I did and everytime I took a breath it would just hurt even more. I tried to get enough energy into me to speak out for them.

"Mom.. Dad" It barely came out. But it seems as if they heard me. My mother's eyes and my dad's eyes opened and welled up with tears. When they came closer to my bed I finally noticed how red and puffy their eyes were.

"Joseph. I'm so glad you're okay." My mom hugged me tightly as she was sobbing into me. When she hugged me tightly it was hard to breathe.

"Mom.. can't.. b-breathe.." I let out. She quickly let go and soon my brothers were around my bed and their eyes were puffy and red too. Nick looked like he hasn't slept in ages. He slightly glared at me and I didn't know why. He almost seemed mad at me.

"Are you okay sweetie? Let's call the nurse in to check up on you." She pressed the button by the side of my bed. It was harder to keep my energy up and I felt lightheaded. Speaking even took up most of my energy. The nurse came in and checked up on me.

"Well Joe. Everything right now seems to be good. I'm gonna have the doctor come in here in a minute to see how you're doing. Would you like anything?" She asked me and gave me a warm smile.

"Water." I croaked out. My throat was so dry it seemed as if I haven't spoken in ages.

"I'll get that for you in a second." She then walked out and closed the door behind her. My mother brushed my hair back and held onto my hand. I've never seen her or my dad cry this much. I still wasn't sure what happened. The nurse came back in with a bottle of water and I quickly drank it. It burned a little at first but after a while it was refreshing. She left the room again.

"Mom, what happened?" I asked her once I had enough energy. Her smile quickly faded and my dad looked down to the floor. I looked at my brothers and neither of them were making eye contact with me. Nick just sat in the chair away from my bed with his hands on his knees, occasionally dragging it to his face to wipe some tears away. That was the first time i've ever seen him cry so much.

"Joe, you don't remember?" My mother asked me and I nodded my head slightly no. Everything still hurt even when I nodded my head. Just then the doctor came in.

"Joe. Glad to see you're awake." The doctor smiled warmly at all of us. He tried making the situation and the atmosphere more pleasant but it wasn't working.

"Joe says he doesn't remember what happened." My mother told him.

"Yes well I think he's still in a state of groginess so it may take him a little while to remember what happened." The doctor told my parents while writing some stuff down and inspecting me.