Chapter 6

Demi

Joe, his brothers, and I all just finished lunch. They seemed like nice guys. I didn't feel comfortable eating with other people though. I always ate by myself in the library or I just didn't eat at all. I started walking to class when Joe decided to walk with me. I didn't want to get to close to Joe and end up developing feelings for him and soon later be heart broken. I can't deal with that anymore. I feel like I can't trust people the way I used to after what happened to me before.

"You don't have to walk with me." I said to him trying to push him away.

"But I want to though." He said protesting back. I let out a sigh and we walked in silence to my class.

"I'll see you after school?" Joe said. He wants to see me again? I didn't want to feel like I was bothering him but it would be kind of nice to walk home with a friend for once.

"Sure. See ya then." I said smiling at him. I walked into classroom with a grin on my face. I sat down in my seat hoping class would end soon so I can go home with Joe.

"Finally!" I thought in my head as the last bell rang. I gathered all my stuff and walked to my locker seeing that Joe was already there. I suddenly got butterflies in my stomach and my heart was skipping a beat.

"Hey." I said to him opening my locker as I put my stuff inside.

"Hey are you ready to go?" He said back smiling. He's so adorable.

"Yep!" I said and shut my locker. We went out the door and started walking back home.

"So how was your day?" I asked him since it was his first day. I know what it's like being the new kid and everyone staring at you because you are new.

"It went well. I'm loving my classes. Everything I guess went pretty well." He said back. I was glad that everything went well for him.

"What about you?" Joe said. Today wasn't the best day for me. I didn't know what to tell him. I didn't want to lie to him either. It wouldn't be a great way to start a friendship.

"It was ok. I mean it wasn't the best." I said to him with a sad look in my eyes.

"Yeah and I'm sorry that you got tripped I know that girl and her friends tripped you." He said referring to Carly. I guess Joe could tell I was sad because he then asked me if I was okay.

"Yeah it's just... Carly doesn't like me. I don't know why but she just always hated me. She makes me feel low about myself. I don't get why she has to bully me either." I said. I've never really opened up to anyone about Carly before. Or any of my issues. Joe then put his arm around my shoulder to comfort me. I felt relaxed. My butterflies grew in my stomach again.

"Well she's probably just jealous of you becase you're amazing." He said to me. I blushed a little at his compliment.

"Hey let's go over there!" He said pointing to the park. We made our way to the park and we sat on the swings.

"So Joe tell me about yourself. Why did you move to California." I said. I wanted to get to know him better.

"Well my dad got a new job working in the music industry so our family moved here from New Jersey." He said. We asked eachother questions and sat on the swings just talking about everything. He told me everything he possibly could about himself. After that I felt like I knew him a lot better. I told him about my abusive father and how Eddie is now my dad. He sat there listening like he actually cared. No one usually cares for what I have to say. He then got up from his swing and gave me a hug. I hugged him back putting my face into his chest as I was crying. There's just something about Joe that was different. He wasn't like other guys. Maybe I could trust him.

"I'm sorry that happened to you. I would never hurt you. I'll always be here for you when you need me." He said. More tears were now forming in my eyes. I probably looked like a mess.

"Promise?" I said to him as I stared into his eyes.

"I promise." He responded back and gave me another hug. I just wanted to hug him and never let go. We eventually let go and I sat back down on my swing. He started to push me.

"Higher!" I said to him. I started laughing. I was having such a great time. I never wanted this moment to end. Soon enough we started walking home. We finally reached my front door as I tried to get my key out.

"Would you like to come inside?" I said to him as I opened the door. I was secretly hoping he would want to come inside

"Yeah I would love to." He said. We walked inside when Dallas called to me.

"Demi! Where have you been you were suppose to be home an hour-" She stopped when she saw Joe.

"Hi! I'm Dallas and I'm guessing you're Joe." Dallas said putting out her hand.

"Yes I am. I'm guessing Demi told me about you." Joe said looking at me. I turned away and blushed a little bit.

"Dallas. Demi what is going on-" My mom was about to finish her sentence when she saw Joe. She smiled widely and shook his hand.

"You must be Joe. I was just about to invite your family over for dinner tonight if that is alright with you guys." My mom said. Dinner with Joe and his family? Why didn't my mom tell me about this?!

"Yeah that would be great! I'll go over there and invite them over right now." Joe said. He started grabbing his bag and was about to walk out the door.

"I'll see you guys later." Joe smiled while looking at me. I smiled a bit and nodded.

"See ya then." I said and closed the dooor behind him.

"Ohh Demi likes Joe." Dallas said teasing me. I punched her lightly on the shoulder and started getting myself ready for this dinner. I was so nervous. I didn't know what to wear. I wanted to look good in front of Joe and his family. I started to get ready by stepping into the shower.

Joe

Demi and I went to the park and we sat on the swings.When she told me about Carly I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She's done nothing wrong and she doesn't deserve this. I put my arm around her hoping to comfort her.

We then went to the park hoping it would lighten up her mood. We sat on the swings and I was swinging lightly back and forth when she asked me a question. We talked like this for hours as she told me about her father. She has lived such a tragic childhood. I went up from my swing getting her up from the swing and hugged her. She was softly crying into my chest. How I wish we stayed like that forever. I wanted to kiss her then and now but I knew I shouldn't. She wasn't mine. I would never hurt Demi in any sort of way and I hope she knows that.

"I'm sorry that happened to you. I would never hurt you. I'll always be here for you when you need me." I said to her. I truly want to be there for her.

"Promise?" She said with tears in her eyes.

"I promise." I smiled and gave her another hug. I then pushed her in the swing as we were both laughing and enjoying the moment. We then left and went to her house when she invited me inside.

"Demi! Where have you been you were suppose to be home an hour-" A girl then approached us. She sort of looked like Demi.

"Hi I'm Dallas. I'm guessing you're Joe." She said as she put her hand out. I shook it and replied back.

"Yes I am. I'm guessing Demi told me about you." I looked at Demi as I saw her blush a little. A smile grew on my face.

"Dallas. Demi what is going on-" A woman who I guess was their mother came into the room. She stopped when she saw me and smiled a warm smile. She told me that she was about to invite our family over for dinner with Demi's family. Another moment I can spend time with her would be perfect.

"Yeah that would be great! I'll go over there and invite them over right now." I said back. I knew my family would like to come over and have dinner with another family in the neighborhood. I grabbed my bag and said goodbye to them before walking back to my house. I think after today Demi finally trusts me. I walked back in my house and talked with my parents about going across the street for dinner. They agreed to the idea and I got upstairs to get ready when my phone rang.