forty three.

forty three.
lilystem.

"Lilystem!"

My paws pounded against the rough terrain, the wind brushing against my damp and ruffled fur as I went. I took off as soon as I heard those cries, the cries of Driftingsky. No hesitation.

"Lilystem!!"

Scorchfur wouldn't stop yelling after me, and I could feel his presence slowly catching up to mine. It was easy for him, as my running had been slowed by my wounded leg. He ran beside me, glancing at me. I refused to turn to him, my mind set on one task.

I hissed, "Go! Run ahead. Hurry!" I snapped at him, knowing he would get there faster than me. I could feel my hind leg throbbing, begging for a break, begging to rest.

The charcoal tom didn't need to be told twice as he strided ahead of me, barreling in the direction we heard Driftingsky - the east border. Featherpaw and Coco were on my tail, both just as confused as Scorchfur must have been.

I could still see him - he wasn't that far ahead of me - but my vision blurred. The corners of my eyes refused to focus as salty tears filled my eyes. I want him to be okay, please be okay.

It was all my fault. I left him, all alone. We were supposed to be a team and I abandoned him. And now, thanks to my recklessness, he could die because of me. Another cat lost to the paws of Cherrystorm.

No.

I won't let her win.
My eyes narrowed, all of my senses zeroing in on the path Scorchfur was leading us towards.
As my leg writhed with pain, the wind brushing up against my fur caused the unspilled tears to fall and blend into the dew that lay within the grass.
She would not win again, not today.
I wouldn't let her take away someone else I loved. I love. Love.

I love him.

Scorchfur's paws slowed as we reached our destination, the location of Driftingsky's desperate cries. The scene that played before my eyes was one that you could only see in the worst of nightmares.

Her claws painted with blood, her once beautiful clean pelt was now dirtied from mud, rain, and pure insanity. Cherrystorm did not look mentally stable at all, as a flash of lightning lit up the horrible scene and the evilish glint her eyes held. She stood over Driftingsky, his body writhing to get away from her wretched claws.

"Cherrystorm no!" Scorchfur exclaimed, frozen in his tracks once he arrived to the setting of the crime. I'd never seen him freeze so easily before, but thankfully he was fortunate I did not have the same hesitation.

Once I finally managed to catch up, no time was wasted. My front claws extended as I hurled myself into Cherrystorm, going for a smooth tackle. Leaping over Driftingsky and aiming for her shoulders, she was pinned, her anger resting within her eyes as she realized what had happened.

"So," her tongue ran across her teeth, "You managed to survive." Cherrystorm delivered her sour words with pure hatred as she looked at me as if I was the one who had wronged her.

"Shut up." I snapped, my snout getting dangerously close to her face, "You don't get to be mad at me because you were too cowardly to finish me off yourself." Another bang of lightning followed by the clashing sound of thunder rang throughout my ears, a storm I hadn't seen coming on it's way.

Cherrystorm laughed. "Cowardly, huh?" She snickered, "Your sister did not receive the same kindness I showed you." Her sheathed paw pet my cheek softly, but I was quick.

"Shut up! SHUT UP!" I screamed, lifting one of my paws to claw her arm away from my face. Unfortunately for me, Cherrystorm was quick with her motions as she used this as an opportunity to kick me off with her hind legs. She launched me a few foxlengths away, causing a short yelp to escape my muzzle as I landed on my wounded limb.

"Lilystem!"
My ears perked as the voice of the cat I'd grown to love stood shakily to his paws, his voice reaching out to me.

Driftingsky wobbled as he stood by the bough of a tree, using large roots as a crutch to help himself up. Featherpaw and Coco were quick to his aid and gave him the extra nudge he needed. Meanwhile, Scorchfur shuffled to move in front of them, facing Cherrystorm as she turned to meet him. My vision blurred, I could barely tell where I was in relation to them, but Cherrystorm made sure to stand in between myself and Scorchfur.

"Why are you doing this?" Scorchfur asked, his tone quieter and more unsure than I've ever heard it. It was clear he had felt severe betrayal from Cherrystorm's actions.

"Why?" Cherrystorm almost whispered, her stance wide and prepared. "I killed Petalheart because she took everything from me, and once this leech — " she glanced back at me, her emerald eyes holding nothing but contempt, "got onto me and discovered the truth, how could I let her live? I was just trying to tye up loose ends, and Driftingsky was the last knot." She turned back to the grey-pelted tom, as he swallowed his nerves. "As you can see, I got interrupted."

"But why!" Driftingsky's voice cracked as he desperately questioned the calico, "Why would you ever want to hurt Petalheart? She was your dearest friend." He took a step closer, standing next to Scorchfur.

Her tail lashed, eyes ablaze. "I never wanted to hurt Petalheart."

I coughed, "Then why did you? What did she have that you possibly could've wanted?" I wearily began to stand onto my three working limbs.

Cherrystorm's head snapped in my direction, a splash of rain landing onto her nose, "She had a litter."