14 | Unknown

The floor boards creak and my eyes snap open to glare at the intimidating darkness.

I try to move my head, but it feels like lead, my eyes fluttering closed as pain blossoms in my skull.

I still haven't gotten used to the drugs they pump into my body to keep me docile.

A small barely perceptible hiss leaves my lips. My fingers flinching against my body in time with my erratically beating heart.

I try to move my arms but it's harder to make them move than I remember.

The floor boards creak once more, and I will my eyes to remain wide, alert.

I turn my head to the side, squinting through the darkness even as my heart screams for me to remain still.

Don't move and they won't hurt you.

The fear rushing through my blood comes to a staggering stop as my eyes land on his.

"Mar-"

Marcelo holds a finger to his lips, indicating for me to be quiet as he slowly shuts my bedroom door.

I don't say anything as the lights from outside slowly disintegrate. All that's left is the moonlight that bathes the golden stitched room.

Marcelo moves, walking quickly over to me as I sit up, smiling softly at him.

He sits on my bed, bringing me into a hug as he runs his hands up and down my back.

The familiar warmth of his body and smell comfort me, knowing I have my one friend in this place by my side.

I flinch as he rubs against the bruise on my back and he pulls away, dark eyes staring over me.

Tears glisten in my own icy blue ones as I see the anguish that takes over his face.

"I hate him." He spits. I nod my head, whispering.

"I know."

"I'm going to get you out of here."

"Marc-"

"No, you don't belong here."

"I'm not going."

"Please?" He pleads. "Let me help you."

"He will kill them if I don't stay." I tell him for the thousandth time.

His shoulders drop, "You don't belong here."

"But I have to stay, for them." I tell him.

"I know, I don't want them hurt either. But I hate seeing you hurt, and I know Enzo would too. He wouldn't stand for this and he'd hate me if he knew what I let happen."

"You haven't let anything happen."

"Doing nothing is no different than raising a hand."

"You can't do anything; your father will kill you."

Marcelo's eyes darken and he slightly lifts up my shirt, eyes glancing at my back.

"They're hurting you."

"I'm fine." I tell him, pushing my shirt back and grabbing his hand. "Just stay with me a bit longer."

"I can't stay long; my father will come looking for me."

"Just a little longer." I repeat, pulling him down to my side and curling into his body.

His arms wrap around me, his hands diving into my dark hair and resting at the back of my neck.

I close my eyes as he starts to massage my head, feeling the pounding in my skull disappear.

The silence stretches on before his fingers stop. "I saw Harley today."