Chapter 13 - Battle

Start from the beginning

"And if they don't?"

"Then we go to phase two and use our heavier weapons. Like the cannons and gatlings. Those will kill people."

"Once this is over, what do you plan to do with Estera?"

"I've decided to leave that up to you. Now come. I've got something special for you."

"Like what?"

"It's a surprise."

They walked to the end of the Great Hall, past the buffet table, through the double doors of the kitchen, and down into the cellar. The cooler temperature hit his sweaty forehead like a wet cloth as they made their way past the floor to ceiling racks of wine, and weaved around oak barrels. Through a hidden door, he finally saw the room where the weapons were kept over the years. A few men, his father's age, along with his friend David, sat around a table, assembling ammo.

"I had this made for you." Jupiter plucked a bow from a display on the wall and handed it to him.

"This is nice." Magnus ran his fingers over the wood grain, admiring the intricate carvings that resembled lightning. "Maybe too nice. I'm afraid to damage it."

"It was crafted to withstand a good beating. Plus, look at this." He took it from Magnus, and pulled the shaft in opposite directions, revealing the hidden daggers inside. "If you end up having to face off in hand-to-hand combat, you'll have these to protect you."

"Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point."

"Not as long as you have these to keep your enemies at bay..." Jupiter presented him with glass tipped arrows that had lightning inside them. "See? Made special for you."

"Pop..." Magnus cleared his throat and tugged on his collar as his emotions stung his eyes. "Thank you."

"After we win this war, again," Jupiter began saying while guiding him upstairs. "I'm going to ease back on my duties, and I want to start the transition of having you take over. Its time and you deserve it."

"I'm not ready for that."

"You are. I believe in you, son."

When they resurfaced and walked out into the steps of the Great Hall, the gates were rolling open, and a horseback rider was racing inside.

The scout had one message, and it was that their enemy would be upon them by sunrise.

∆∆∆

As dawn broke on the horizon, citizen's assumed their positions around the inside perimeter of the wall. Each of them was strapped with a pistol in hand, a rifle slung over their backs, and a belt full of glass lightning daggers. Guards took to their stations behind the cannons, while others sat at the tops of the towers to manage the Gatling guns. Crates of spare weapons were scattered throughout the community in case there was a breach, and if all else failed, there was the last resort of escaping through the underground tunnels.

Puffs of fog escaped everyone's mouths as they waited while remaining absolutely quiet in their assigned positions. Magnus stood on top of the wall with a fresh coat of warpaint in the shape of lightning bolts down his cheeks. Next to him was Rafi, his hair in a top knot, a protective vest covering the cluster of tattoos on his chest and arms. Standing between them was Jupiter, his arms folded, and staring out to the empty field in front of the gates. Meanwhile, Zemora stood behind them, ready to command the men on her wall.

The silver sky swirled above them, threatening to release its tears onto what would become a battlefield. Magus heard static in his earpiece, and then Mira's voice filtered through.