Chapter 10 - Guilt

When they reached the canyon, Magnus flew from the van and charged towards the group huddled in a circle. Estera watched him shove his way through, while her own feet struggled as if wading across mud. The small crowd parted for him, all while her heart throbbed in her ears, blocking the shrill that escaped his mouth as he fell to his knees. Her instincts were telling her to run, yet she proceeded forward, needing to see his body for herself.

Jupiter was hunched over with hands on his knees, and tears were dripping from his cheeks while Magnus remained knelt with his hands pressed into a pool of blood. His head jerked her way as she stepped through the crowd, and the red, glossy rage in his eyes left her cold in her tracks. He got to his feet, staggered towards her, and she backed up, swallowing hard.

But to her surprise, he embraced her, and from over his shoulder, she could see a trail of blood smeared on the ground, but no body.

"I want everyone down here searching for my son!" Jupiter straightened, wiping his eyes.

"I don't understand," Estera whispered, as they began dispersing to scour the canyon.

"Coyotes must have dragged him off..." Magnus replied. "We can't let them take him. We need to bring him home, where he can have a proper burial."

"What if he's alive?"

"He's not," Mira sniffled next to them. "Abel couldn't feel his pulse."

"What were they even doing out here?" Magnus asked.

"Izzy said they come out once a week to hunt small creatures," Rafi cleared his throat. "It's a game they've played for years."

"Where's your sister. I need to speak to her." Magnus searched about.

"Mag..." Rafi held up her hands. "Izzy is in a state of shock right now, so bombarding her with questions won't help."

"If it was Izzy who fell, would you still be telling me the same thing!" he snarled. "Take me to your sister."

Rafi held his ground, a hand pressed to Magnus' chest. "Not if you're going to yell at her."

"I'm not. Now move!" He shoved Rafi, but his friend pushed back.

"I said, no."

Looking determined, Magnus weaved around him, but there Rafi was again, in his face, blocking the path. This time, Magnus shoved him so hard that it caused him to trip over his feet. With the way clear, he started marching forward with the others falling in line behind him, trying to catch up. Meanwhile, Estera remaining a few paces behind, as she watched Mira tug the back of his shirt collar, trying to get his attention. He spun fast with his fist raised but froze when he saw Mira. She shrieked at the knuckles aimed at her, and Zemora slid between them.

"What is wrong with you!" She threw her arms around her wife, protectively.

"I..." He shook his head, his face whiter than the moon. "I thought she was Rafi. I would never-"

"What, hit a girl?" Rafi finished his sentence. "But you'd hit me. Your best friend?"

"No." He shook his head again and bent at the waist, gagging.

"You almost hit my wife because you thought she was Rafi. Since when do we take swings at each other?" Zemora glared.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking..."

"It's ok." Mira waved her hands. "We're all very emotional right now."

"But it's not ok. None of this is ok." He slapped a hand to his mouth, and his shoulders shook as a muffled sob filled the quiet midnight. Without hesitation, Rafi threw his arms around him.