Sixteen: Hayden Williams

"Wake up!"

My eyes opened at the sound, and I looked behind me to see who it was. It was so dark, plus I was beyond tired, that I couldn't see who it was. "Dad?" I asked.

"No," the voice said. "It's Kadin."

A second later, I sat up and felt the urge to scream. Kadin must have noticed, because he put his hand over my mouth before any sound could come out. "Don't even think about screaming, Hayden. I had to come and see you. I'm going to let my hand off your mouth and you're going to tell me if you're okay. Got it?"

I nodded, and as he released his hand, my eyes finally adjusted to the dark. Kadin stood there beside me. His silver gray stared right at me, and he asked, "Are you okay?"

"I was until you came in here," I lied. Remembering the conversation I had with my Dad earlier, I felt just as depressed as I was when I went to sleep.

"Oh, don't do that," Kadin groaned.

"Do what?"

"Be depressed," he said. He sat next to me and I could feel the energy radiating off of him. "When you feel that way, it gives me power. I don't want to hurt you."

I wanted to ask why he was here, but I remained silent. Something about Kadin was different this time around, but I wasn't sure what.

"You're probably wondering why I'm here," Kadin said. "After that night at the tower when your blood felt too pure, I went to figure out what you were. You were different than anything I'd ever come across. In the last week, I was able to uncover information. You're a—"

"Nephilim," I interrupted. "Yeah, my Dad finally told me tonight. Is that what you came here to tell me?"

Kadin was silent for a second. "No. I also know the Shadow People are after you. They've been visiting you, haven't they?"

Even though he felt different now, I wasn't sure I could trust him. He tried to suck all the energy out of me. There was no forgiving that. "Why do you ask?"

"There are so many things you don't know," Kadin said. "And I'm willing to tell you everything, but you have to trust me."

I laughed at the thought. "Trust you? You do realize that you kidnapped me and almost killed me, right? Why in the hell would I trust anything you say? All anyone does is lie and hurt me. I'm not dealing with it anymore."

Suddenly I felt Kadin's hand on my back. In a low voice, he whispered, "I'm sorry, Hayden. I really am. I need you to trust me."

I turned to look at him, and our eyes locked. One look in his eyes told me that he was being genuine. Just because he was genuine didn't mean I had to forgive him. But I knew deep down that I needed to trust him. "I'm not going to say it's okay, but I suppose I can hear you out."

Before Kadin could reply, my door burst open. There stood my Dad, his wings fully extended, and he said, "Get away from my son!"

Kadin got off the bed and held his hands in the air. "I am not here to hurt him."

I looked back and forth between the two of them. What the hell was going on? "Dad, calm down. It's okay. We were just talking."

"There's no way he's just talking to you," Dad said. "His kind are not welcome in this house. He shouldn't be here."

"Please," Kadin begged. "I am just trying to help Hayden out. He's in danger. Did you know that?"

Dad's eyes widened. "In danger from what?"

"One of you needs to explain to me what's going on here!" I demanded. Clearly there was something going on between the two of them. Did they know each other from somewhere? Considering my Dad had once been an Angel, it was possible.

"The Shadow People are after Hayden and his friends," Kadin said. "I'm here to try and help him."

"You're the one who tried to hurt him, aren't you?" Dad asked.

"Stop ignoring my question!" I screamed. "Stop focusing on each other for two seconds and someone answer my question. What's going on? What is he, Dad?"

The two of them exchanged a look and Kadin said, "You might as well tell him. They all need to know the truth. It's better to tell them now."

Dad looked right at me and said, "You might want to brace yourself for this."