A Saga Of Heartbreak

Start from the beginning

He still hadn't changed from the suit he was wearing this morning , his blue tie hung loose from his neck . His black hair were disheveled and his blue grey eyes held a mixture of pain and exhaustion.

It took every ounce of strength in me not to hold him in my arms. Instead I pulled out the USB and handed it to him.

" This has all the answers you are searching for. "

Aiden fumbled with the USB and then he suddenly looked up at me. There was a pleading look in his eyes.

" She didn't do it right? Please tell me that she didn't do it."

My heart broke further if that was even possible. I wanted to tell him what he wanted to hear but this cycle of secrets and lies had to end.

" Aiden I am so, so sorry." I whispered as my eyes pooled with tears.

He went silent for awhile looking at the floor instead of my face. Then he spoke.

" For how long have you known?"

" For awhile ." I whispered. " I wanted to tell you . The day your mother died I came to see you because that's what I wanted you to know . But then that incident happened and I decided to wait because you were already in so much pain."

" Did my mom know that you knew?"

" Yes".

" My mother's suicide ... did it have anything to do with this?"

I couldn't speak in that moment I felt like I couldn't even breathe. He finally looked up at me his piercing grey eyes looking into mine.

" She knew that I was about to tell you the truth that day...."

" Alright . That's enough." Aiden held his hand up to stop me. I saw that there were tears in his eyes. He was literally shaking.

" Aiden please I ...."

" No Sarah please just stop. Please just leave." He backed away into the room shutting the door to the suite before I could do anything.

I kept telling myself not to cry as I drove back home. If I allowed myself to God knows when I would stop.

Crying meant accepting what was happening . It meant accepting that I had lost Aiden forever.

Sasha had called me several times on my phone but I didn't feel like talking to anyone. I didn't want to hear their lectures on moving on and forgetting the first man I ever loved.

Three days passed. When I wasn't working I was sleeping . Every time my phone buzzed I would jump hoping it was a message or call from Aiden. But none of them came.

The fourth day I was busy printing out documents when one of my co-workers told me someone wanted to meet me. To my disappointment it wasn't Aiden but a tall woman in a black suit with chin length black hair.

" Hi Sarah may name is Gina Crawford. Can I speak to you for a few minutes?"

I was confused at first but understood where I had heard the name. I remembered Aiden telling me that Ethan had a daughter named Gina and that her calls were being monitored in case she was in contact with Ethan.

We sat in the company cafeteria , Gina looked calm but I was on edge . She wanted something and I had a feeling it was far from something good.

" Your boyfriend Aiden hasn't been returning any of my calls. He has literally fallen off the face of the earth , so I came to you."

" What do you want?" I asked.

" My father you know is currently in police custody. His being convicted depends largely on your boyfriend testifying in court against him. My father was associated with the weapons division of Aiden's company before it was shut down. He has been accused of illegally smuggling weapons to terrorist organisations. If that charge is proven he will be found guilty of treason and would probably get the death penalty."