6

DARKNESS

DARKNESS EVERYWHERE

NOT A SINGLE LIGHT IN SIGHT

AND THERE WAS PEA...

..."John! John! What happened at school today?", his mom asked entering the room. Her eyes fell on the broken portrait and immediately, "...HUH, and what's this mess on your bed? Did you break it? What have you been doing!?"

and so, the noise starts again...

"No, Mom. I didn't break it! It fell on my head last night and it would've almost blinded me. Thanks for asking, MOM!", said John.

"Leave it, the nail must've been loose or something.

Tell me about today! What exactly happened? They called and said that you haven't been sleeping for nights and needed help or something...", said his Mom.

"No, Mom, No. I don't need any help. I've been telling you what's happening- leave it. It's no use.", replied John, tired from all this shit.

"Okay then, don't tell me. Stay at home. Why just this week? Stay at home all your life, no need to go to school anymore. I'll be the one who'll rub my ass off all my life and bring food to the table.", said his Mom in her anger, and instantly regretted at the words that came out of her mouth.

No one noticed that Mary had been watching from the door, no one knew from when.

"Aw honey...forgive me for what I said. See, I am just a little angry with your brother. Let's go down and get something ready to eat", said Mom, holding Mary's hand and leading her out.

"Uh, clean this if you can. Or leave it, I'll clean it later.", Mom said to John.

"It's okay, Mom. I'll do it.", said John.

He collected all the glass from the bed, and also from the floor. Threw them in the trash. He got the frame, and threw it in the wardrobe.

Now, he held the picture of Jesus Christ in his hand. He looked at it for some time. He asked for answers in his mind. Why was every wrong thing happening with him? What was his dad's fault that he had to die at the hands of some criminal? And now all that was happening to him. He'd not take it anymore. He hated 'god'.

He tore the picture into two pieces, and threw them into the cupboard, and closed it.

He decided he could use a beer.

"Mom, I have to go out with Brett to get some papers for a Geography assignment. I might as well catch up during this week", John said to his Mom while reaching for the door.

"Sure, Son. Just come back early, dinner will be ready in an hour.", his Mom said. "Also, tonight you're sleeping early. No staying up."

"Okaaay, Mom. Be back in half", John replied.