Prologue

•EVELYN•

•EVELYN•

Three years earlier
Miami, Florida

Mama had the sex talk with me when I turned fifteen. It was nice to hear her talk about penises, vaginas, sex, periods, STDS and pregnancy. I knew a lot about it already. She was a little too late because why? I educated myself when I saw my period two years ago. "Always use a condom, sweetie," she said, finishing up. "Always. Goodnight." She kissed me on my forehead and left my bedroom.

But when she came back to my bedroom, two hours later she whooped me with a belt for no reason. I didn't get Mom. She was too confusing at times. She laid her hand against my neck and screamed in my face. "Be a good girl for mommy. Do not date any boys. You are too young for a boyfriend."

She released my neck and walked out of the room, leaving me scared. I chewed on my blanket, hoping she wouldn't do that again. But then she did it again and again. I was frustrated. I was scared. I didn't like the way she abused me for no reason. Oh, Lord. I pulled the blanket over my head and cried.

•CALEB•

Two years earlier
Chicago, Illinois

"Mom, I didn't mean to get a B plus. Can you please take it easy on me?" I said when I was sitting down by my computer desk, a pen in my hand. I had football practice all the time, lots of homework, and had to do volunteer work at the animal shelter whenever I had time.

"It's not good enough Caleb. I will talk to the teacher about a redo."

"Mom she doesn't do redoes."

She tore the test paper into pieces and sighed. "Bring me an A plus, next time Caleb. I am serious." Mom slapped me across my face for bringing home something less than an A. She hardly slapped me. She only did that because I was slopping this time. I told myself I had to do better next time.

What the fuck is wrong with you Caleb? I asked myself.

"Okay, mom." I moved my hand down my blond hair and closed my eyes. "I'll do better. I promise."

"Good. Now study. Don't think about girls too much, my player son." I'd been a player, yeah. Only because I couldn't find the perfect girl. I tap that and let it go. It was part of my life. Date, have lots of sex and dump.

"Mom!"

She shook her head and walked out. I laid my head against my desk and took a deep breath.

I hate my life.