Seventeen

CALEB

My mother came inside my room after a hard day of practice to bother me. She chose the wrong day to argue with me because I was not going to stand there to take this bullshit. This had been an ongoing thing in our household and I was fed up with it. It was always about Eve. Evelyn this and Evelyn that. My mom had to let it go.

"My busy work schedule is the cause. Am I right?" she began, pointing her finger at me. She didn't make any sense. Even if she was, that wouldn't have prevented me from hanging out with my girlfriend.

"You think you can do whatever you want to do when I'm not present right? Think again, Caleb."

"Mom I'm playing a game," I yelled. I kicked my gaming chair and tossed my controller across the room. This never offended her.

"I hope you are not dating that Ape anymore Caleb. If you are, I am planning something very dangerous." Mom smiled. There was a wicked intent in her eyes. I knew then she wasn't kidding about doing something bad to my girl. "That negro needs to go. I DO NOT want her in your life."

"I want her in my life." She ran across the room and grabbed me by the collar of my polo shirt.

"Do not speak to me this way Caleb Foster. I am your mother, the woman who had a difficult time giving birth to you." Her hand gripped my arm and that was when she shook me. Tears fell from her eyes as she continued to do that to me.

"Mom, stop." I walked away before it led to something worse.

"I HATE YOU. I hate you."

She approached me and tapped me hard on my chest. "Are you sleeping with her without a condom Caleb?"

"Yes and it feels amazing," I yelled. I picked up my controller from the floor and watched her scream.

She laid her hands on her face. "Caleb she ruined you."

I laughed. "Mom get out of my room now. You need help."

"I'm not going anywhere." She wiped out tears from the corner of her eyes and cursed me. Then she slapped me across my face. "I should have aborted you." I was shoved before she walked away from my bedroom. A couple of hours later, Mom never bothered me again. I found out she left the house to meet up with her group. Whatever they were planning was so not good.

•••

An hour after this confrontation, Dylan came to my house to play some video games. He brought a chick with him as usual. Her name was Beth and she was just one of many.

"I changed my mind dude. Dating Eve is a disaster." He had to start this when I told him that my mom and I were arguing a while ago.

"You're two-faced, Dylan. I thought you wanted me to be happy."

Beth smiled as she looked up at him.  "Dylan stop bothering him. He loves that girl." He ignored what she said and focused his attention on me.

"Can you please let us be?" I asked.

"I can't just let you be. Someone is going to get hurt. Your mom is threatening Evelyn and you're there like nothing is going on. If you love that girl so much, you should let her go."