"What?" Obi chuckled, now walking out of the door. "Did you see his face?" He asked.

"I was fucking drunk Obi. But i fell one time, and i heard the laughters that came from the bushes"

"That doesn't mean anything. It could be anybody" Obi countered. "Anybody that has a sense of humor" Ola rolled his eyes back.

"Yes, because i have that much enemies" He said and Obi shrugged his shoulders. "You don't know" He added, and received a punch in his gut.

He groaned in pain, pushing Ola away from him.

"Now that's a sense of humor" Ola muttered, with a chuckle escaping his lips. Obi cupped his chin, succumbing to the pain before he suddenly bumped into someone. He knew that because books fell to the ground, and they were not his.

One however, he had seen before.

THE GHOSTS FROM OUR PAST
by Onyemaobi.

His eyes slowly darted from the book to the person who he had hit. Of course, like fate had it, it was Abdul. "Sorry" He muttered, reaching for his books which Obi helped him with.

For an awkward moment between when he handed them and when he walked away, they stared at each other intensely and Obi shook his head. "No, i'm sorry. Really" He whispered, and Ola pieced in his head that something happened.

"What was that about?" He asked as Obi turned around to watch him walk away. His dry lips parted slightly as he pushed something down his throat. "It was nothing" Obi replied after a while.

"Come on Obi" He went on, holding his arms.

"It's a really long story" Obi made an attempt to continue walking but there was his hand that was around his. "What did we say about no secrets?"

Obi rolled his eyes before they fell on Bade.

"Remember, be back by lunch" She pointed sternly to her watch. And though, she might have come out with a stoic persona, she was deeply enthusiastic about having being put in control.

Most people wanted that. But not Ola. He just wanted to know what was up with the ship he'd made up in his head. "We have time" He whined.

-

There was a knock on the door, as Mary counted the stack of cash Akin had left on the counter. He spoke of how he was visiting a friend that day—

—while she had to get some things at the local market. It was how she'd envisioned her day, but however she didn't expect her husband to leave thirty thousand naira for her. Ten, would have been fine. But thirty. She held it in her hands, before she looked at the note beneath it.

Get yourself something nice also. x

A smile found its way to her lips. I mean, she might not have been materialistic per say. But i mean who didn't like nice things? Besides it was the thought and the letter that quite struck her.

She tossed it aside, slipping the money into her pockets. The truth was, ever since they sold the honda accord to Collins, it was a breath of fresh air. They could finally catch a break, and Mary could finally stop worrying. But it came at a cost.

The cost, which was Ola.

He might not have been speaking to them, ever since the fallout. Akin, no. But Mary, he only said a few words which was very unlike the duo.

As she let go of the money, she realized she missed talking to her son about the very unnecessary things, she missed sticking her hands into his hair.

She missed when he'd spend the evening with her while she made dinner. She missed walking into his room solely to pull his ears. Playfully. They might not have been as bad as he was with Akin.