Chapter Ten (REWRITTEN AND EDITED)

A/N:

THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN REWRITTEN AND EDITED. This new version is completely different from the original, so I advise that you re-read every chapter marked 'rewritten and edited' as much of the story has changed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To the most of the guests at the engagement party, the unannounced appearance of the only son of the kings dearest friend was a welcomed one. Many older couples, familiar with my family flocked over to my brother as soon as they realised he was there, all expressing their happiness at seeing him for the first time in years.

I heard a gasp from across the room, and all of a sudden a flash of colour blurred through the room, until it stopped directly in front of the new arrival. The Queen pulled my brother into a tight hug, holding him for a good minute, while appearing to be whispering things into his ear. When she was finally done, she released him, before giving him a kiss on the cheek, and then squealing once again.

It was then I felt a sudden touch to my shoulder, causing me to jump and diverting my attention away from my brother and the Queen. William, still with his hand on shoulder, continued to look at me with slight worry on his face, while Jamie who stood to the side, looked confused.

"I didn't realise he was coming," He said, "Why didn't you tell us?"

I glanced over to Jamie, gulping, "I didn't know, Elizabeth never mentioned it."

Jamie frowned at the news. It wasn't a secret that neither Jamie or Steven particularly liked the other. In fact, they both found it to be in their best interests if they attempted to avoid the other all together, and for the last four years, that had been possible.

William squeezed my shoulder, regaining my attention, "Don't you want to go and say hello?"

I winced, "Not particularly."

"Why not?" He furrowed his brow, looking rather perplexed.

Not wanting to reveal the true reason, I blurted out, "He's had the last four years to speak to me William, and he has made no effort whatsoever to do so."

His expression softened slightly, before he sighed, "I know you've missed your brother, Lilliana, and it hurts that he hasn't contacted you, but he has come all of this way to see you tonight."

I let out a bitter laugh, "Oh no, he hasn't come to see me! I imagine he's run out of money, and needs some funds from my father. As soon as he has that, he'll be gone again for another four years!"

William's expression hardened once again, his grip also becoming a little more forceful. "Stop being so ridiculous. Last I heard he was in Brisbane, he flew for a whole bloody day to get here, and you think he is just here for money?! That's just absurd!"

"No! What's absurd is that you and most other fools in this room think that he's the dotting brother, who is willing to cross all bounds to celebrate with his family! It's absurd that you all think he is an angel who can't do anything wrong, despite being AWOL for the last four years! It's downright absurd that you think for even one minute that he actually cares about anyone other than himself! And it's absolutely absurd you are too thick to notice that he--!"

"That's enough!" William hissed quietly, his finger's digging even further into my shoulder, "You are creating a scene!"

 "Guys, calm it down..." Jamie called out quietly, in an attempt to break through the tension, "People are looking."

"See!" William hissed, "You are causing trouble yet again, and my father really thinks you are a suitable wife for me?! He's clearly deluded, you cannot even control yourself in public!"