09. The Lesson

En başından başla

I wondered the same thing everyone likely had a thousand times before: what is he hiding?

"This is correct, but when you get into your turns, your palms start shifting towards the floor and your arms start coming in a bit," he explained before moving to stand behind me again. "May I?" He stared back at me in the reflection, waiting for my response.

"Sure," I said, though I was wary of what he wished to do.

A faint gasp escaped me when his gloved hands raised to hold the tops of my own. Distance remained between our torsos, but I could still sense how close his chest was to my back. He slowly turned my hands over, guiding them to face the floor, then he brought my arms in just slightly.

"It doesn't seem like a big deal, but the problem is..." he paused, releasing one of my hands so that he could place two fingers between my shoulder blades, "...it doesn't keep your back as engaged. You'll feel the difference right here." His breath ever so lightly fell upon the skin on the back of my neck.

Testing his claim, I widened my arms back out and shifted my palms to face the mirror again. Just as he said, I felt my muscles tighten underneath his touch.

"See? The more you can engage these muscles, the better your form will-"

Hoseok's fingers unexpectedly slid down my spine, and with a sharp inhale, I stepped out of his reach. I'd been fine just seconds before, but when his touch shifted, the letters suddenly appeared in my mind and the possibility of him being the one behind them sent a wave of fear over me.

Damn it, you're supposed to gain his trust. If he is the writer, acting weird like this will only make him realize that you're suspicious of him.

Hoseok raised his hands in surrender, lifting a single amused brow. I could feel the hidden smirk radiating from him. "Jumpy, are we?"

Brushing a stray hair away from my face, I huffed. "Sorry, I just... should I try it again?"

He stepped back and gestured for me to go ahead. "Apply what I told you."

"No, I was just going to ignore everything you said," I quipped, earning a quiet chuckle from him.

Letting the music spur me on, I readied myself and dove into the spins, employing the tips he'd given me. The difference was immediate as I felt the extra stability in my turns, the added control over my movement. I landed flawlessly and let a small grin pull at my lips, half-expecting Hoseok to praise me.

"Better," he said shortly with a curt nod. "Now let's start on the opening of the dance."

Should've known there'd be no praise from him.

The next hour dragged on torturously. His choreography was complicated from the very start, requiring much precision and attention to detail. He had me repeat a single step over and over until he deemed it acceptable, and I quickly learned that he was pickier than any of the previous teachers I had throughout the years.

By the time he allowed me to rest, sweat was dripping from my scalp down to my chin. As I went to sit on the floor to catch my breath, I decided that I should use the opportunity to try to learn a few things about him.

"Do you miss dancing?" The question slipped from my mouth before I could think twice.

His eyes snapped to mine. He leaned back against the wall where he stood, looking at me intimidatingly. "Who says I don't still dance?"

My heart faltered. "Just... That's what some friends told me. According to them, nobody has ever seen you dance here."

His head tilted to the side as he crossed his arms, gaze flickering over my face with interest. "So you asked about me."