Chapter 2: Pierced (Day 1) Edited

Start from the beginning

"I didn't wanna scare you too bad," he said quietly, "but it seems like little red riding hood doesn't understand what's going on."

You felt his cold breath on the skin of your neck as he tilted his head towards your ear. He breathed for a couple seconds to peak your fear.

"I make the rules."

Before you had a chance to shudder or shake, his facial expressions changed and he slugged into the living room behind you, leaving your eyes shocked and lonely at the same time. What a strange guy. You had no clue what his true intentions were, and that was a nightmare in itself.

"Hey, you got a remote in here?" he yelled.

You stood in the kitchen speechless. What just... What just happened? Was he bipolar? Why did he seem so threatening and then so... casual? Why was he even in your house? Who was he? You stepped into the living room, peering around the door frame, and saw him sitting on the couch about to grab the remote from the table.

"Hey, are you okay? Why do you take everything so seriously?" the boy asked as he snapped his head up at you, practically sensing your presence.

Why did he ask that? Did you look sad? Were you crying and didn't know it? He hopped up and placed his hand on your shoulder. You misread it as some sort of romantic gesture. His actions were strange altogether... Maybe he was trying to comfort you.

"Can you please say something? You're like some quiet-" he cut himself off. "Can you just enjoy your last ten days?"

Ten days...? Days? What did he mean? What was happening in ten days? What did he know that you didn't?

"What?" you asked quietly, locking your bones at the touch of his hand on your cheek.

"You'll be dead in ten days," he bluntly stated. "What's confusing about that?"

That short of time? You were only getting to live for ten more days? Wait, wait, wait... Dead?! That wasn't okay. That was not okay at all. Not even as a joke. Of course you would take it seriously. He just said that you would be dead in ten days. Was that... Was that a threat?! Should you have been running by then? Well, yeah. You should've been out of the neighborhood by then! What the hell were you thinking prancing around your house for so long like a dumb character in a horror movie?!

The boy laughed and said, "Is there a problem with that? Should I just kill you now?"

Oh, God, he was seriously insane. Why were your feet frozen again? This wasn't good. Not at all. You needed to get away from this psychopath. Your life literally depended on you making a dash for the door before he tried anything else. So, as a result, you began to slip from his reach. It was obvious that he knew what you were up to, and he took hold of your hand before any progress was made.

He muttered, "Don't you know that your house was built backwards? Every door and window locks from the outside, trapping anyone and everyone inside. The key was never sold to the second generation of owners because it was lost under the floorboards in the hallway. And I gotta say, it's pretty dusty down there. Not even a butterfly would dare fall through the cracks. But if you think you're up to the challenge, I'll just wait by the front door. Will you try? Will you try to find the key and get out?"

Change in attitude... Change in fate.

It just kept getting worse and worse. Maybe you didn't register half the things he said, but nothing made sense. And rightfully so. When you're pushed over the edge of a mountain, you know that the fall is faster than your pulse. Your breath would slow and choke you before impact with the ground. Was that reality?

"Why is this happening?" you asked him. A single hate-filled tear grazed your cheek.

He chuckled, "'Cause you wanna make it to the deadline, right? Oh, I know what you mean. You don't understand why this is all happening to you. Yeah?"

You nodded.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about, and it seems like those stories are too long. You don't have that much time left, so I wouldn't waste it on trying to comprehend something only told through words. Because a lot more happened than words. There were more feelings and thoughts than words," he stated. "All you need to know is that time goes by quicker than you'd think."

No chance of compliance. No chance of escape. No chance of survival. What were you doing? Were you really sitting there listening to the bullshit he was saying? You should have darted out of the house and dashed into the woods, diminished into the eternity of freedom. Now you would just be stuck dancing with the wolves.

"Oh, and I forgot to tell you," the boy muttered.

You looked up at his eyes. Yeah, the ones that held no color.

"I'm Jeff, and if you don't play by my rules, you can count on this ending sooner than you'd expect," he said. "Got it?"

His expression pierced through your failing heart. There must have been some sort of monster behind his smile. You wanted to cry your heart out. You were actually going to be brutally murdered, smeared with blood and rotting sins, in just ten days. And you knew how time worked. It seemed the longest during gruesome, tiresome scenes, but then it would sneak up on you. It would pop up right in front of your path and make you skip a whole event. You skipped your way through all your years, never expecting to be shorted or given any time. You could even say that you took it for granted- played life like a game with unlimited lives.

Your entire life would have to be summed up in these ten days.

A cold blast made your bones rumble, grumble, and tumble as you locked your hands and toes. Your eyes moved to the side and saw that, once again, a window was open, and the winter cold was only beginning.

And an anomalous winter it would be.