chapter twenty - eyebrows

"Um.. Sarah" Johnson mumbles.

"Yeah?"

"Could we stay up here?"

"Uh, sure"

"I just.. don't wanna see Gilinsky right now"

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure the others won't be back for a while"

***

I'm in stitches laughing in our room with Johnson, "a-and then, she chased us all the way down the road until we finally got to Sammy's" he finishes his story and then falls back with laughter.

I whip away the tears pooling at my eyes and my laughter dies down.

"So, Sarah" Johnson rolls over onto his stomach and supports his head with his hands and has his elbows on the floor.

"What's your most embarrassing boy story?"

He wiggles his unusually dark eyebrows which makes me giggle.

That's something that Johnson and I have in common, dark eyebrows. I mean, for me, my hair is medium brown but not nearly as dark as my eyebrows. My little cousins go on and on about how much I look like Cara - I personally do not see it.

Johnson on the other hand, has dirty blonde hair and very dark brown eyebrows.

"Ummmmm" I mumble, trying to remember his question and diverting my gaze from his eyebrows.

"Tell meeeee" Johnson groans.

"Okay, okay. Um, once in freshman year I accidentally touched my crush's butt" I say, Johnson stares at me for a couple seconds until he realises I am serious and then bursts into a hysterical laugh which sounds unnatural but still manages to make me laugh even harder.

Our laughter is just dying down when there is a knock at the door.

"What?" Johnson yells.

"It's Nash, open up"

I roll my eyes and got up from my place on the floor.

I open the door and was greeted my Nash's big smile.

"Nate's gang left, Gilinsky's sulking, the others aren't back and I'm bored" he moans.

"How are you?" Nash asks Johnson.

"Better" he smiles and Nash nods.

I look at Johnson and notice his nose was starting to bruise a lot more and his eye is almost swollen shut.

How did I not notice?

Because you were staring at his eyebrows not his eyes.

Right.

"I'm just going to go get you some more ice" I gesture to the plastic bag of water which was once frozen laying by Johnson's side.

He smiles and nods, then Nash takes my seat on the floor and starts talking to Johnson.

As I approach the kitchen I hear something smash and for some reason my pace quickens.

Standing outside the kitchen, catching my breath, I peer in I see a very bloody Gilinsky pacing back and forwards with his hands tangled in his thick brown hair.

Our eyes meet and his narrow at me.

Every fibre in my being is screaming, telling me to leave, to turn my back to him and let Johnson's swelling go down on it's own.

Bu I can't listen to the screming voice in my head telling me to leave and accept his evil glare.

Time to dance with the devil.