The Nightmare Begins

//I am aware the first scenes are straight out of the show.//

-Gwen-

     Lady Morgana had went to bed later than usual. She was hesitant to sleep and the room became chilling as the night became deep.

     "I brought some extra blankets, I thought you might be cold." Gwen said mindlessly when she returned to her lady's chambers. She knew something was off. Morgana laid in bed, seemingly peaceful and asleep.  Yet the air was dry, the room was cold, and the candle beside the bed was lit. Something she explicitly remembers was not in that way before. 

    Despite all her confusion, Gwen left the blankets at the foot of the bed and simply snuffed out the candle. She placed it by the window where the moon shone on it, and where Morgana would be too tired to turn on.  Gwen left the chambers without turning back, though she felt strange and unsure. 

-Morgana-

     The dreams troubled her greatly, and they felt all too real. She felt a rush of  fire, it coursed through her like blood, and it woke her as the thunder began to crash.

     Morgana  woke up in an exhilarating sweat, breathing in and out as deep as she could. She gained her consciousness and there was nothing she could do to keep her dreams from seeping into reality. So the candle across the room lit in a snap. She fixed her eyes on it, and the flame rose. It rose as high as it could manage, catching on to the draped curtain. 

     She felt the fear start to engulf her, and Morgana wished for no one else than her trusted Gwen. Then the fire began to spread about. Eating the curtains and latching on to her other belongings. And so the the glass shattered as she shrieked.

(In the morning)

-Merlin-

     Merlin had been with the guards when they'd put out the fire. He was now cleaning the ash as Guinevere gave her statement. "-There was a candle. But I put it out." She explained to King Uther, Morgana's guardian. He didn't seem convinced, "Are you sure." He demanded more than asked, his first tone firm and his face like a stone. "I blew it out. I swear." She said with a hint of desperation.

       "Gwen's been Morgana's servant for years, I believe her." Arthur chimed, the worry in his face clear, he shot a small glance at Gwen. She nodded lightly. Uther didn't reply, just walked over to the stained curtains, lost in thought. 

     "She could've been burnt alive." He said. He never turned, seemingly concentrated. Arthur offered an explanation, one that involved lighting. "Perhaps." Was the only acknowledgement the king gave. "What other explanation is there?" Continued the prince.  At this point Merlin could guess what Uther was suspicious of, he did not like it. Then the king said one last thing before exiting the room, "Someone started the fire deliberately."

    Merlin and Gwen looked at each other. There was no way, was there? He thought about magic, how it could have been involved. No one could have snuck into her chambers without having special abilities. That was for sure. She was treated like a princess, and guarded like one.

-Arthur-

    "How did they reach her room unchallenged. There are too many guards, it's impossible." Arthur and his father strode side by side, "Yet they managed it." Uther retorted. 

     "I can't explain it." 

    "I can. They used magic."

    The prince turned to him in alert. Why did his father always suspect sorcery? "Arrest all those we have under suspicion." He commanded. "That's going to take time." Arthur merely informs him. Yet, "My ward has been attacked." Uther says through gritted teeth as he turned to face his son. "Time is something we do not have." He concludes, and leaves. Arthur is struck, and he watches as his father goes one more time into a maddening witch hunt.

    As he went off to command his orders, he thought of how he'd want to see Merlin later. Maybe, and just maybe, he'd be of use. But mostly, because the first time he saw him that day was in a hurry, and he hadn't gotten his morning wake call. 

-Morgana- 

    "What I don't understand, Morgana, is how the fire started in the first place." Gaius stated, his eyebrow raised. She thought about it, but she only remembered the fear of suffocating, of the fire. "It happened so quickly. It was terrifying."  The old man nodded, he understood, "It's all right. You're safe now." He brought a comforting pat to her shoulder, "You're the only person I've told about my dreams," she said, "I know I can trust you Gaius." After some consideration, and an affirmation from him she continued, "It was me. I set the room alight, I started the fire." The man seemed taken aback, and with good reason. 

    "I don't understand, did you knock a candle over..." 

     "No, that's not what happened," her throat was dry, it was getting hard to speak, "I did it just by looking at it. The flame leapt higher." 

    "It could've been a gust of wind." He tried to give sense to it. "It wasn't, it was me," her eyes widened in realization, "It was magic."

    He started, "My child- "I am not a child!" She breathed deeply, trying to keep her voice calm. "Last night was an accident. It had nothing to do with you. How could it have? I am going to draw you up a fresh remedy that will make you feel better." Promised the physician. She started to shake her head, fear clear in her face, "You must trust me." He said. She had nothing to argue, and became too shaken up to even try to.

-Merlin-

    He had overheard the exchange between Gaius and Morgana earlier. Merlin would, of course bring it up. "It was magic. You know it was, and more importantly so does she." Finally Gaius turned, "She knows nothing for certain." Merlin raised his head, he was feeling defensive, "That makes it even worse. She isn't sure what's happening. It's tearing her apart."

     "What would you have me do?" challenged the old man. "Talk to her. Tell her she'll be okay." Merlin began to stand up. "Tell her that her powers aren't something to be afraid of."  Gaius turned away, "I can't." 

    "Maybe I could speak to her." 

     "No merlin. You can't!"

     "Why not? I understand what she's going through." Gaius immediately scolded him with the same lecture, "You must never reveal your secret, not to anyone." Merlin kept quiet. The old man always pulled this card, and at this point he had learn to nod and 'obey.'

     If Merlin couldn't reveal his magic, then who could? The Druids? They did have extensive magical knowledge. How would he manage to take Morgana without being discovered. No, he couldn't. In fact he wouldn't. There was no one else better than him to bring this up to her. He couldn't let Gaius ruin her mental health, it was difficult growing up with nobody to explain what was happening to you. Merlin wasn't going to let Morgana go insane with internal doubt. 

     "I understand." Was all he said. Gaius gave him a simple nod and returned to his work. Merlin sat and stared for a few minutes. He was waiting patiently for the right time to leave. He didn't want to seem suspicious. 

     As if on cue, "Merliiiiiin!" The servant had never gotten up faster to greet the prat of a prince.