14 - Update

I slammed my laptop shut, ignoring the pang of guilt over my unfinished Creative Writing homework. After four days slaving on the subject, I had managed to trigger chemistry between my two main characters. Sure, my play needed fleshing out, but that could wait, right? I had till the end of November to submit my work.

Tonight, I would reward myself with a stroll on Rosings grounds, and perhaps invite Theo to accompany me, if he was available and willing.

Giddy with exhilaration, I applied the Bridge, and prepared for my bedroom to fade to the wooded park enclosing the De Bourgh estate. However, an alarming red notification popped up, blinking for my attention.

Update 15.10a:
• New custom NPCs
• Minor bug fixes

This package requires root access to be installed. Do you confirm?

"Of course."

New NPCs? Who could it be? Would my extended family be used to portray the Philipses or the Gardiners? Aww, Jarod and Grace would be precious in Regency outfits.

While I mused with the possibility, the device had completed its maintenance task, and after a few seconds, the melodious tinkle of a nearby watercourse enraptured me. With a nervous giggle, I patted my skirt, confirming that my drawers were not apparent this time, and pronounced the passphrase.

"Hey, let's do Get Help."

To my dismay, no one appeared. I turned my head left and right, spotting a track leading down a steep hill, a shrub of wild strawberries, and two squirrels, fighting for a stash of hazelnuts.

I lowered myself down on a dead log, and eyed the muddy path, debating if I should stay in this clearing or go in search of Theo, when a tall silhouette, hastening in my direction, caught my attention. I peered at the gentleman's face, the shadows cast by the surrounding trees preventing me to assert his identity. Upon glimpsing at me, he raised both arms, gesturing for me to stay put. At last, he passed the grove, and I exhaled at the sight of Darcy's enthusiastic grin.

Once he had reached the little hill I was waiting on the top of, he waved a white envelope. "Hello."

"Hello to you too." I giggled, motioning for him to join me on my makeshift bench.

He sized up the hill, took a few steps back, then sprinted up the mired track. Or should I say attempted the climb? The first foot he put on the fresh slush sent him, arms flailing about, down on his noble arse.

With a frightened gasp, I hurried down by his side, and helped him stand up. "Are you okay?"

His hand brushed his soiled lower back, and he flinched at the touch. "Yeah, I'm alright." An adorable pout turned down the corners of his mouth. "But Darcy's confession letter has seen better days."

Indeed, the envelope containing the truth about Wickham's past laid in the dirt, soaking up the brown water of a gleaming puddle.

I shrugged. "Don't worry. I know he fed me lies."

Theo offered me his arm, and I accepted it right away, my skin prickling from the awareness of his presence. His real presence. He guided me towards the lane bordering the property, his pace aimless and leisurely. When a row of beeches shielded us from the glazed windows of Rosings Park, he broke the silence. "I thought you'd never call."

My heart sang in elation, and it took me an awful number of seconds to reign it in and provide a composed reply. "I was working on my assignment."

"Oh. What are you studying?"

"Creative Writing. For my English Literature Bachelor of Arts. I aim at working in advertising."

He beamed at me, his smile instilling glee in my walk. "I knew you were the artistic type."