Chapter 26: Maria & Twin

Natalia's P.O.V

I entered Alessandro's room, seeing him on the wooden floor with a blanket filled with food, the windows were opened allowing a good amount of sunlight to be at his disposal.

I smiled showing my amusement at the image in front of me. He held out his hand for me to hold, which I did. He brought me down on the blanket beside him. "This isn't exactly how I imagined our first date to be." He joked earning a small chuckle from me.

"It's perfect in its own way," I told him, eyes scanning the different types of food on the blanket, the heat that came off the pie told me it was fresh out of the oven.

"Do you want to try it?" I nodded watching as he took a piece of the pie, bringing it to my lips. I gentle bit into it.

I had to admit it was amazing, the slightly hot jam that was hidden in the pie slipped into my mouth, greeting my taste buds with glee, I moaned happily at the taste.

"This is so good," I said taking the pie from his hand, eating the rest hungrily. "I'm glad you like it. Tell me something about yourself." 

I cleared my throat as I wipe my lips, "Um...I like guns?" He laughed lightly at my response making me laugh as well. 

"Something deeper than that." I thought about it quietly for a second before speaking once again.

"Well, I had an older sister, Maria." This seemed to pique his interest.

"Had?"

"She died in a car accident, 10 years ago. I was 14 and she was 16, we were driving to a party our parents said we couldn't go to, a car..." I took in a deep breath, trying to compose myself as I continued.

"A car was driving on the wrong side of the road, we were hit and went over the bridge into the water beneath."

"I remember trying to open the door but they were jammed shut, Maria was knocked out from the impact, I tried so hard to wake her but she wouldn't..." I pushed back the tears that were threatening to leave my eyes.

"You don't have to force yourself to tell me, Natalia. Do it when you're ready." He said giving me a smile.

"It's fine, I barely talk about it, it's better I get it all out." He took one of my hands, planting a kiss against my palm, silently telling her to continue.

"She wouldn't open her eyes, I wanted to save her but the water kept pooling in so quickly, my mind was so conflicted.

"I needed to get out but I couldn't leave her. With what little time I had, I broke the car window and swam out to get help because I couldn't carry her weight and mine."

"The minute I reached the surface a wave took me, I tried to break free but my attempts were useless as I hit a rock, which knocked me out." I explained giving Alessandro's hand a little squeeze, to calm myself. I wish I could have saved her, I wish I had done things differently.

"What happened next?" He asked softly, I looked out the window as I spoke again. "I survived, someone found me, but no one found her."

"The car was still there, but she wasn't. I was the one who begged her to bring me to the party and I'm the one who left her. I should have stayed with her and died by her side. Maybe I wouldn't feel like shit every day." He placed a hand under my cheek turning my face to him.

"Listen, it's not your fault. It was the driver's, he should have paid more attention. Don't blame yourself, Natalia. You couldn't have saved her and got out yourself, you did the best you could. Come here."

He brought me into his arms, which gave me more comfort than I deserved, no matter how many times I had been told it wasn't my fault, it didn't change how I felt.