sixteen

"All right," Zach called to Gray, who was sitting in the driver's seat, "Turn it over

"All right," Zach called to Gray, who was sitting in the driver's seat, "Turn it over."

The car rumbled to life. "It works!" Gray cheered in excitement.

Natalie and Zach shared a grin as he shut the hood, their earlier conversation not forgotten. Gray crawled into the back seat as Zach began to climb behind the wheel. Before he could, a hand gripped the back of his shirt and pulled him out. "What do you think you're doing?" Natalie asked with a raised brow.

"Driving," Zach said as if it were obvious.

"I thought you failed your driver's test," Gray spoke up, leaning over the front seats to see the two clearer.

Zach looked at Gray over his shoulder, "No...Only the driving part," he turned to Natalie who crossed her arms. Zach half expected her to start tapping her foot. "I passed the theory,"

"Oh, thank God! Because if the jungle is full of anything, it's fucking road signs," Natalie cheered sarcastically before shaking her head at her friend. "I'm driving, moron. With everything else against us, I don't want to be taken out wrapped around a tree." Before Zach could say anything, Natalie stepped around him and climbed in behind the wheel.

Zach huffed but didn't argue further as he climbed into the passenger seat.

The Jeep flew through the jungle as fast as Natalie could drive without risking a crash, following the narrow dirt road she hoped would lead them out of the jungle and not deeper within.

"Damn it!" Natalie's eyes widened at Zach's exclamation, sparing a glance away from the road for a second.

"What? What is it?" she asked, looking into the rearview mirror but she couldn't see anything but trees and shrubbery.

"I left my hoodie," Zach groaned, dropping his head against the headrest of his seat.

Natalie scoffed, "You're not fucking serious?"

"Bad word," Gray spoke up from the back, his hands gripping his seat tightly until his knuckles were turning white.

Natalie muttered an apology to Gray before turning to Zach, "Out of everything, that's what you're worried about,"

Before Zach could reply, Gray yelled out and pointed out the windshield. A few yards ahead of them was a metal fence, the gated chained closed. The brown colour of the metal told Natalie the gate was rusting and weak. At least, she hoped that's what it meant otherwise...

"Hold on tight, okay?" she told them as her foot pressed harder on the gas pedal until she felt is grazing the floor. The boys' eyes widened, quickly grabbing onto whatever they could as Natalie gritted her teeth and braced herself for the impact.

Her neck jutted forward and her arms ached but she didn't care as the Jeep broke through the chain-link fence. She sighed, slowing down only a little as the dirt track turned into a real road. She let out a shaky breath she hadn't realised she had been holding. "You guys okay?"