fifteen

A crackling sounded away from the group but Natalie was the only one who noticed it

A crackling sounded away from the group but Natalie was the only one who noticed it. Wrapped around a tree was a golf cart, the Jurassic World logo on the door splattered with blood that was only beginning to dry. The front of the cart had been torn to shreds, four deep claw marks splitting apart the metal.

As Natalie looked closer she realised it wasn't a tree the cart had been thrown against, but instead a column covered in vines. A building, derelict and hidden with the overgrowth from the jungle.

Natalie felt like her throat was closing up as she stared at the large doors, her voice only managing to let out a rasping whisper, "Zach," as her hand tightly squeezed his arm.

Zach was quick to follow where Natalie found her eyes glued, audibly swallowing at the sight. "Stay here," he ordered to the two quietly as took a step closer to the doors, pulling away from Natalie's tight grip.

Before he could move any closer, Gray's hand shot out. Gray's fingers gripped at the grey material of Zach's hoodie so tight his nails began to dig into the palm of his hand. The young boy didn't even notice the stinging pain as his wide eyes stared up at his brother. "Don't leave us," he pleaded desperately.

Natalie limped closer, her hand laying on Gray's shoulder, "We stick together," she spoke firmly.

As Zach stared into Natalie's dark eyes, she could see his hesitation as he struggled to decide what to do. There was no plan he could think of to keep Natalie and Gray safe from harm. Nobody knew what risks were behind those doors, but if he went alone to make sure it was safe, he would be leaving the two to wait knowing there was a dinosaur out there hunting them.

Zach pulled away moved towards the doors, the two following closely behind him. Smooth stone steps led them towards the large doors. The wood of the doors was weak with rot, only supported by the iron framing. "That's the old park's logo," Gray whispered. Natalie looked up to see he was right, the skull of a T-Rex was carved above the door.

"Gray, help me with this," Zach calls his brother over as he braced his shoulder against the door. Gray rushed to his side, copying Zach's stance. Together, they pushed against the door, the rusted iron creaking as the hinges were used for the rest time in years.

It took Natalie a moment to realise that she was actually looking into the building and not at the jungle surrounding them. A variety of plants and trees had found their home within the building. A dome ceiling, which must have once been fitted with stained glass, was now only a skeleton.

"Wow," Zach whispered, his arm instantly wrapping around Natalie as she limped over to his side.

"I can hardly see a thing," Natalie squinted her eyes in the darkness of the building.

Zach's brows furrowed as he looked at the ground in concentration before turning to Grey. "Hey," he called for his brother's attention, "Any chance you have matches in that dork pouch?"