Chapter 20

"Are you feeling okay? You shouldn't be up and about." I look Quentin up and down searching for any signs of a remaining concussion, but he just smiles down at me shaking his head.

"I feel fine." He leans down pecking my check before shifting his focus solely to Ivan while still keeping his arm around my waist. "Care to explain why on earth you revoked my packs recognition?" Quentin's voice drops low as he stands tall against a frustrated Ivan. I've only seen Quentin get into such a professional attitude a few time, and most were when dealing with the council.

"As I explained to Tessa here you and your pack now being investigated to see if the allegations of treasonous talk are true." I hear a few gasps from the woods behind me, looking over my shoulder my eyes connect with a few pack members lingering in the shadows. They shouldn't have found out like this, and it's mainly my fault. I was worried that if I told them without Quentin there to explain they would have jumped to conclusions making the situation worse.

"I can tell you now in person that I have never engaged in any such conduct, so all I ask is that you hurry and finish your investigation so that my pack members can feel safe again" I'm shocked by how calm and collected Quentin is remaining right now. If he wouldn't have spoken up when he did I most likely would have ended up in a screaming match with Ivan.

"Thank you for checking in, but I do believe there is somewhere else you are needed." I feel uneasy knowing Ivan's the one responding to Black Moon's attack, but it's better than nothing. Plus I don't want the pack hearing about the attack this way. We will explain everything to them tonight because now that Quentin's awake they are going to want another pack meeting.

"You both will be hearing from the council very soon." I want to punch the fake smile off his face, but he turns walking away along with the three other men. It isn't until I see them cross the pack line do I let myself fully relax.

"Let's get home. Tell the pack that we'll be having another meeting after dinner." Quentin nods to Oliver leading us back towards our house. Carl follows us and Emma walks off with Oliver sending me a small wave as they walk away. I'm going to have to find a way to thank her for helping me out over the past week. Staying in Quentin's room when I had to work, bringing me food when I refused to leave Quentin, and making sure I had someone to talk to when things weren't looking good.

The walk to our house is silent since I can't seem to form a sentence as I stare up at Quentin. It feels like a dream to have him up and walking like nothing ever happened, but staring at the few remaining scars on his face and his blonde roots growing in is a difficult reminder of all the nights I spent crying and clutching his hand.

"What's that smell?" Quentin stiffens up as he opens our front door. My eyes widen and I sprint off down the hallway. Opening the spare bedroom door my stomach drops not seeing Jasper anywhere. His scent is still strong in the room, but he isn't here. "Tessa it's not safe!" Quentin's grabs my elbow to pull me out of the room but I rip it out of his grip moving towards the closed closet.

"Jasper it's me." I tap on the door twisting the knob on the locked closet. If I wasn't so worried I would be proud of his smart idea to stay in the closet just incase. I step back hearing the lock click and Jasper pushes the door open crouching down in the corner with a few tears left on his cheeks. Trying my best to keep a straight face even though my heart is breaking him I kneel down pulling him into another hug. "It's okay they are gone." I reassure turning my head to look at Quentin, who looks so confused at what he's seeing.

"Who's that?" His tone isn't jealous or angry but simply curios. Standing up I help Jasper up moving him to sit on the bed, and he turn his head to look at Quentin with wide eyes. To be fair Quentin can look pretty intimidating with his height and size, but he isn't scary.