Chapter 19

"It's safer if they don't know." I argue with Oliver as we sit in Quentin and I's office waiting until the whole pack has gathered for the pack meeting I scheduled. It's been four days since I got back from Jasper's and we still haven't uncovered any incriminating evidence about Ivan yet other than many unexplainable rogue attacks. Oliver is still wary of the whole situation and thinks we should just forget about it as to not get into further trouble.

"Fine. I don't agree with you on this but if both you and my brother feel there is something worth looking into I'll follow you." He finally caves letting me not tell the pack about what's going on behind the scenes. It's safer for everyone especially the pack because if worse case scenario happened the council would spare them since they had no knowledge about it.

"Has Jasper shown up with anything yet?" I turn to Carl who is leaning against the wall, and he shakes his head. I know Jasper said he was going to head to Black Moon to pick up the copies of old attack reports to run over here, but it's been a few days and I'm staring to worry.

"Alright let's do this." I stand up following Carl and Oliver out of the room while wishing Quentin was walking with me as well. His condition has improved so well that his back is all healed up except for some scarring, but he has yet to wake up. Parker profusely reassured me that there is nothing else wrong with him and he just need to wake up on his own time.

I stay with him every night sleeping on the couch in his room, but during the day when I'm working I leave to go to our office. If it wasn't for the sensitivity of the issue at hand and the danger of curious ears I would work from his room too. On the bright side I was allowed to get the cast on my arm taken off this morning but the stitches have to stay in another day or two.

Walking out into the back yard unease and somber are the best emotions to describe the atmosphere of the crowd. Some hold their family close while others nervously look over their shoulders just in case. It all sends a pang of hurt to my heart to see my pack in such a state of fear and knowing deep down I can't promise them safety. We can do as much as possible as a pack, but without the council we don't have complete immunity, not that we had much before.

"I want to start by saying how sorry I am. Last week was an unforgettable tragedy that no one saw coming, and I hope we never have to see again." I swallow the bile that rises in my throat from lying to them for now. I would never lead them into a war blindly but for now we aren't even sure it will come to that so I don't want to put that extra weight of unrest. "I know you are all desperate to know how Quentin is doing, but I don't come baring good or bad news today." I have to look away for a second to compose myself. Not having him beside me everyday has been extremely difficult. Sometimes I look over to crack a joke about something only to feel my smile fall from his absence. "He suffered deep lacerations to his back, broken ribs, a broken wrist, and worst a severe concussion. Parker has explained that it's all depends on his body deciding it's healed and ready to wake up." I grip the railing of the deck feeling lightheaded. The physical toll of staying up into the late hours of the night desperately searching for evidence is starting to set in.

"We lost fourteen warriors in total, and I can promise you justice will be served to those responsible. The council was notified of our brutal attack, but instead of helping us decided to revoke our recognition based opinions other expressed towards them about Quentin. I don't want to get too deep into it because I am actively working with the council to get this resolved as soon as possible, but until then I don't want what happened to effect how you go about your day to day lives. Now's the time to work together and stand tall to show everyone that Silver Dawn can come out of this stronger." The atmosphere is still tense but I can see some are a bit more relieved being in the loop. It only solidifies my decision that from this day forward they won't be left in the dark. A pack can't run efficiently without complete transparency.