Chapter 21- Stolen Home

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," I tried to give them a rueful look. "Is Ezrah here right now?"

Kelly nodded, "He's in his office, I'll go get him."

It didn't take more than a moment for him to come hurrying out, then wrap me in a big hug. I threw my own arms around him, making sure to keep the sleeves tucked over my hands, but I couldn't help flinch at the pressure that it placed on my ribcage, right above my fractured ribs. Ezrah spun me around a little bit, allowing me to catch a glimpse of the worry on Alessio's face as he stepped forward, probably knowing the pain it caused.

I was set down quickly, though, allowing me to regain my footing. I stepped back as he held me at arm's length, "I'd say the great outdoors did you some good, but you look a little worn. Are you feeling alright?"

"I think I may have caught something on our hike. A couple of the girls and I seem to have passed it around. I should have warned you before you hugged me."

"I thought I heard you coughing a little bit the other day, how can I help?" Ezrah obviously wasn't phased by the thought of touching someone who may have been sick, because he quickly pressed the back of his hand against my forehead to check for a fever.

"Actually," I took a step back, gesturing to Lucia and Alessio. "We stopped in to get some tea, we thought it might help with our throats. This is Lucia, one of the girls from the hike, and I believe you've met Alessio before."

Lucia gave an apologetic grin and a nod to keep of the ruse of avoiding a handshake for fear of spreading germs, but Alessio reached out to gize Ezrah a firm shake, staring at my surrogate father without breaking eye contact. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you officially, sir."

Ezrah seemed impressed and happy, which I was glad for. I knew that it was probably the first time Alessio had called someone else 'sir' in a very long time. "You as well. I'm sorry that we didn't get better acquainted the last time you stopped by to tell me that Eliana had left to go on that hike."

"Lucia and I seem to be dealing with the same bug, so she invited me to hang out at her place and ride this virus out together," I interjected. "We're planning a few days of movies and ice cream and soup, but I wanted to check in first."

"Take all of the time that you need, you've worked yourself to the bone the past couple of years, and since they're on break from school right now, Monica and Kelly have been more than happy to take the extra hours and open for you." He gave me a warm smile and then nodded to Monica and Kelly, "Would you ladies make up some tea for the girls? Alessio, would you like some as well?"

It was surprising to see Alessio smile back, "No, thank you sir. I'm not much of a tea person. I stopped by Lucia's when I heard they weren't feeling well to drop off some medicine, but I figured this would be an even better solution. They're both doing pretty well, only low grade fevers, but I still wanted to drive them here myself just to make sure that everything was alright."

The ease with which he lied was impressive, he was taking this whole story into stride very well. Someone, years ago during a darker time in my life, had explained to me that the most convincing way to tell a lie was to include some truth- Alessio had indeed come along to make sure that nothing happened to us, he just didn't mention that he was willing to do that with the guns hidden on his waistband and ankle. His logic that the Russians could still be out looking for me wasn't flawed, but part of me didn't want to believe it.

I called over to Monica, purposefully making my voice sound raspy, "Could we get a black coffee as well for Alessio?"

She nodded and got to work pouring it, and I caught Alessio's look of appreciation. While the other two waited for their drinks, I stepped closer to Ezrah, "How are you doing? I'm so sorry that I wasn't here when you got back."