1 - Best Birthday Ever

Start from the beginning

As the initial commotion settled and the guests sat down to attack the meal, my eyes wandered from Amy, who was slipping one of her precious fried breadsticks to the baby, to Mom's brother, who was already gnawing on his third skewer.

Yes, this was family.

An hour later, as dinner ended and everybody was in a food coma, Mom asked, her hands on my shoulders, "Ready for the cake?"

I let my head fall backwards, and grinned at her reversed face. She dropped a Cambodian kiss on my forehead, her ruby curls tickling my chin. I closed my eyes in delight as she pressed her nose against my skin, and sniffed it softly. Would I ever get over this ancestral mark of affection? What could be more tender and adoring than inhaling the clean, perfect scent of your loved ones? When Mom stepped away to look for a lighter, I did not regret taking the time to shower after cooking.

Auntie herded the youngest kids around me while Dad switched off the lights. From the kitchen, Amy's shrill voice started singing the birthday song, quickly followed by the rest of my family and friends. She strode, our mother's much shorter legs straining to keep up, and they placed a three-layer chocolate cake in front of me. As the song was brought to an end, Amy soloed the last "to you", so off-key that the neighbours' dog howled back from their garden.

While everyone whooped in laughter, I took a deep breath and blew all the candles, wishing for good health, success in my studies, and maybe love for the year to come.

"The present, the present!" Edward chanted, reminding me that I had no idea what my gift would be this year, but that they all pitched in together.

Ames darted to the kitchen, and came back hiding something behind her. "Close your eyes and hold out your hands."

I obeyed, but not without shooting her a warning look. This better not be sticky. Or hot. Or sticky and hot.

She dropped a light, cubic, room-temperature and non-sticky object in my palm. I opened my eyes, eager to discover the surprise that my classmates were taunting me about for the past weeks.

A black leather case, not bigger than a jewelry box, was resting in my hand. Two circles were embossed on its lid, overlapping to form an infinity symbol. I traced it with my index, then opened my present.

Inside, a single silvery disc glinted, catching the light of the candles on my birthday cake, that Auntie kept rekindling for my cousins' pleasure.

"Uhm... thank you?" What the heck was I holding? I plastered an unconvincing grin on my face.

Edward snorted. "You really need to get your head out of your books."

"I don't spend that much time reading."

"Yes, you do," Amy muttered.

"Oy. I know this is my birthday, but can we slow down on compliments?" I grimaced.

She blew a raspberry in answer.

"It's a Bridge," Edward continued. He turned his head to show a similar disc on his temple. "You put it on your skin to get the ultimate virtual-reality experience."

"It's like a video game, except it looks and feels real," Idris added. "InfiCorp takes existing stories--movies, TV shows, books--and turns them into 3D worlds."

"Okay." I frowned. Why would they think I'd enjoy this device?

The room stayed silent, all eyes on me while my friends and my family waited for realisation to dawn on me. Only the baby was oblivious to the tension, her little hand fumbling on her father's dessert plate to grab a piece of cut fruit.