chapter 29

That night when Peter went to sleep he couldn't stop smiling. For the first time in awhile he didn't feel like a burden to Tony or anyone. He didn't feel worry, or weight on his shoulders, just excitement. He got to stay here, in this room, in this tower, with the person that he never admitted, but was like a father figure to him. Although it took him awhile to fall asleep, it wasn't because his mind was laced with worries.

Meanwhile, Tony was down in his lab, working on unnecessary improvements. He stopped working and looked up.

"Friday is the kid asleep?" He said, just wanting to make sure he is okay.

"No Boss, he is currently in his bed, but not sleeping"

Tony looked at the time, 1am. The kid should be sleeping.

"Is he okay" Tony asked, wanting to get all the facts before going up to see if something was wrong.

"Yes boss. He appears to be excited" Tony smiled, happy that his kid didn't feel like a burden anymore.

-------------------------

Happy had already driven Peter to school, and Tony had gotten up extra early to get the adoption official. Of course he had been working on getting custody behind the scenes for the past month, but today was the day he could really make it official.

The whole team knew, everyone knew except Peter. It was a lot harder to adopt a kid than Tony thought. Of course it was something he had never done before, or even dreamt of doing but it had taken longer than he had anticipated.

He went to sign papers around 8 in the morning, and finally returned back to the tower at 12 with Peter, officially his son. He couldnt wait to tell Peter and see the boys face light up, since peter was so happy just at the mention of it last night, he couldnt even imagine how happy he would be for it to be real.

The whole team was in the kitchen when Tony got back, they were all quiet and searched his face for expression. He held up the papers and slighlty smirked. Of course this whole thing made him beyond happy, but he still had to keep his cocky guy persona around the avengers.

They all relaxed when they saw that everything went well, they knew tony would be able to get the best lawyers to fight the case if it didnt work out, but now they could finally breathe a little easier knowing that that didn't have to happen.

Tony had been working on getting custody before Peter was kidnapped by hydra, even though the kid himself didn't know, so it was long awaited.

"Well" Natasha said, doing her famous smirk that they did not often see "How does it feel to be a dad"

Tony didn't know how to respond. He knew that adopting Peter would make him a parental figure in some way or another, but he didn't want to force "Being a dad" on Peter as much as he wanted him to see him like that admittedly.

Tony breathed out "I'm just glad it's all over. My hand is so damn tired from signing my name so much. Next time I do this I'm going to have to hire someone to do it for me" He joked, knowing that Peter is the only exception for him to be doing all of this.

The team rolled their eyes as Steve spoke up, "Well Tony, I'm happy for you. And the kid. I think we can all agree if worse came to worse, any one of us would adopt that kid. How could you not"

They all shook their heads in agreement, but Tony couldn't help but feel a ping of jealousy of the thought of someone else having custody over the kid. He brushed it off knowing that he shouldn't be thinking like that, the kid was his now, but everyone in this tower had his best interest, and Tony was grateful for that.

----------------------

The day went on, the avengers stayed in the main level in the kitchen talking about how excited they were, and discussing how they would tell him that the adoption went through.

Happy came to the school to pick up Peter, who got into the expensive car in a hurry, so that nobody would get suspicious. He was a little disappointed that it wasn't Tony coming to pick him up, but he was just thankful that he didn't have to take the subway.

Happy didn't talk much (Per request of Tony to act normal and not lead on) like always, but he was okay with it, because he knew he could finally go back to the tower and talk to Tony.

As soon as they got to the tower, Peter was in a hurry out of the car

"Thanks, happy! Bye!!" He said heading in through the large doors. When he finally got onto the main level, he smiled when he saw the whole team talking around the kitchen.

"Hey guys!" He said enthusiastically. Still in a good mood from the news Tony had told him last night.

"Hey pete" They all collectively said and smiled as he sat down in one of the chairs around the island. He smiled as he listened to their conversations, Nat and Clint playfully arguing, Steve and Bruce looking over the stove as they were cooking and Tony, pouring himself a glass of water.

"Hey Stark, can you grab me one of those paper towels?" Steve said without looking up from the food he was making.

Why would he ask Tony who's over by the fridge when the paper towels are right in front of me? Peter thought to himself confused

"Stark!" Steve said again.

Peter looked over to Tony who didn't even acknowledge his name being called, he just continued to drink the water he poured for himself, leaning back up against the table.

"Stark" His name was said again

Peter was so confused "Tony?" He said

"Yeah kid?" He said as if nobody had been calling his name for the past minute

"Steves trying to talk to you" He said softly, getting kinda concerned that something might be wrong with him.

Tony shrugged it off and said casually "I don't think he was talking to me kiddo"

Peter sat there puzzled

but he said stark?

He looked at the rest of the team who were trying to hide their smiles, especially Tony, who was smiling into his glass.

"Paper towel please, stark" Steve said, finally looking up at peter

Oh my god

Peter's eyes got wide and a huge smile grew on his face.

"No.." He said in disbelief looking over to Tony, who smirked and nodded, confirming all that Peter was wondering.

He shot up from his chair and ran over to tony hugging his and burying his face into his chest. He didn't care that the avengers were watching, or that he could feel the cold arc reactor against his cheek.

Tony hugged the kid back with the same strength that he was holding onto him with. He couldn't keep the smile off of his face, especially after seeing how happily his kid reacted.

"Another person with the last name of stark is the last thing we needed in this tower, but we're happy it's you" Clint jokes, not being able to contain himself. Natasha elbowed him in the arm.

Peter showed no signs of letting tony go so tony rested his chin on his head

"Welcome home, buddy"

Hey guys! I know this chapter makes it seem like this story is coming to an end but its just beginning! Make sure to comment and vote if you like it so far:)