chapter 12

When Peter had first started staying at the Avengers Tower it was the first day of winter break. Dreadfully, he realized that today was the first day back at school. Of course he wouldn't have to go if he didn't want to, and of course if they call May asking where he was she wouldn't even pick up the phone. She'd be too drunk from the night before or completely passed out for the rest of the day, like usual.

Peter had always wondered how she was able to keep the apartment, she didn't work, she spent every last ounce of money on alcohol and drugs leaving their fridge empty and Peter needs to eat a lot more than before due to his powers.

He had tried to get a job at Mr. Delmar's sub shop but he knew that she would use the money on drugs, and when Mr. Stark came into his life for the "internship" he always gave Peter money whenever he deemed it necessary. Peter didn't like to accept the money either.

Of course Peter wouldn't tell Mr. Stark the situation he was in, or ever ask for money, but Tony always argued, "Kid I'm the richest man alive. What's one hundred dollars gonna hurt?"

Peter had an inkling May was getting money from the gross men she had over. She really knew how to play a good person when she wasn't and he was sure that same fake attitude could put on a show for them. It was disgusting really, the way she acted in front of them, she would smile and laugh and make jokes. But with Peter, it was yelling, abuse and awful things. It broke Peter's heart to think that it was probably his fault that she was like this, and that it might not ever get better for him.

Peter had woken up from the night before and decided that maybe school would be good for him. His body ached and his eyes still felt swollen but his super healing helped him a lot but some of the bruises were so dark that they would take a few days to heal. Luckily the worst of it would be covered by his shirt.

He took a shower in the small bathroom that was nothing like the bathroom back at the tower. No, this one was small and had rust and mold growing in every corner. The water was freezing and it sent chills down his spine, but it helped relieve some pain from the bruises on his body.

Peter had put on dark washed jeans, a science pun t-shirt with a navy blue zip up over it, the majority of the bruises that were scattered around his body were mostly covered. He tried to sneak out of the house like the old days, he would quietly walk passed her past out body that reeked of liquor. Her hair was a tangled mess and her red lipstick was smudged across her face. May's arm was dangling off the couch barely holding onto a half empty beer bottle.

When he made it outside he limped to the subway and made his way to school. He had always taken the subway, it was faster and easier than walking. He couldn't get a ride from his parents because of course, he didn't have any and May would do nothing to help him. Peter stared out the window and tried to blink away the small headache and held his torn up wrists.

He walked into the familiar school feeling better about being there than anywhere else. It was good, it was a distraction. He walked with a limp down the narrow hallway avoiding as many people as possible on his way to his locker. Peter set his bag down next to his feet and spun the dial on his locker.

"Dude what's going on with you? I havent heard from you all break? I got the new Lego Death Star!" he recognized that voice as his best friend, Ned.

"What?! No way! How many pieces?" Peter responded ignoring all the other questions.

"We can talk about that later. What happened to you, man? Did you get to hang out with Tony Stark more? Did you go on patrol? I haven't seen anything on the news. C'mon man! I thought I was your guy in the chair?"

"Shhh. People can't know that I know Mr. Stark, or about Spiderman... I guess I just haven't checked my phone," Peter responded, leaving out all the major details. He just didn't want to relive it.

"What can't people know?" MJ came out of nowhere, like usual, scaring both Peter and Ned.

"Um that Ned's taking polka dance classes," Peter thought of something on the spot earning a glare from Ned and an elbow to the ribs that sent a shock of pain through his body making him feel like he could pass out.

"You guys are losers," She said walking away, holding her sketch book that she uses to draw people in crisis tightly to her chest.

"Really man? Polka?"

"I'm sorry, it's all I could think of," Peter said apologetically and turning around to completely face Ned. Ned's face dropped as he looked over Peter's face.

"Hey, what happened? Are you alright? Did you get into a fight? Was it bad guys? Was it-"

"Yeah yeah I'm fine,"

"But-" Ned was cut off by the sound of the bell signalling their first period was going to start.

Classes went excruciatingly slow for the first day back. He had made it until seventh hour without falling asleep, but eighth hour was what he was really dreading. If he could do anything to avoid it he would.

"Hey penis," Flash said almost on cue.

"Flash can we not do this now..." Peter said with a tired voice. Flash started to hover over Peter's slightly bruised and puffy face, trying to intimidate him.

"Why? It seems like you don't need to be home at any time soon right? I'm sure your dead parents aren't really expecting you," Flash let out a throaty laugh.

Peter began to angrier as Flash started taunting him about his parents and getting in his face. Peter was upset. Not only just at Flash for bringing up his dead family members, but also at May for being all he had left and treating him like shit. It wasn't like Peter to get like this, but he was at his breaking point.

He held his clenched fists at his sides while Flash got more and more into his face, spitting with each word while Peter's knuckles were turning white by his sides, until he couldn't take it anymore.

Peter punched him.