chapter 27

Peter woke up in his room, the last thing he remembered was being in the lab with Tony, he wondered how he got back up but he didn't pay much attention to it. He was slowly learning to see himself as something more than a burden but he still didn't want to ask Tony for a ride to school.

He showered and got ready as quietly as possible, he grabbed his backpack and snuck downstairs. Nat was leaning her elbows on the kitchen table eating a piece of toast.

Peter stopped dead in his tracks, he knew she knew what he was trying to do. He looked at his aunt figure desperately.

"Please" He mouthed

She motioned her hands as if she was saying "go"

Peter smiled at her, thankful that she could understand his discomfort with asking for things. She winked at him while she was chewing and he ran out the door, while still being sure to close it softly so he wouldn't draw out the attention of the others.

He put his earbuds in and started walking to the subway.

Meanwhile Tony walked down the stairs to see Nat leaning against the kitchen table. He walked towards her while cuffing the sleeves of his suit

"Well my son isn't in his room and he's not down here so i'm going to put two and two together and say that you let him leave"

"Tony the poor kid is so uncomfortable about asking for help, we shouldnt push him" she tried to reason

"Last time I listened to you about the kids whereabouts he ended up being the strongest emblem for hydra" He said sarcastically while pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Nah i get tonys worries." Clint said walking into the room

"Thank you katniss!" Tony said, happy that someone was on his side instead of brushing him off as a pessimistic asshole.

"Being a dad is hard work, always gotta make sure your kid isn't being kidnapped and shit like that." Clint jokes

Tony rolled his eyes

"Nobody is getting kidnapped." Caps voice filled the kitchen

"Ah capsicle! I don't know if you remember a few days ago when Peter didn't even recognize us. If that wasn't kidnapping i don't know what is. Maybe it could be considered brainwashed borrowing, but that might be pushing it."

"Okay, okay." Steve tried to get tony to stop

"Were all going to keep a very close eye on Peter, nothings going to happen to him again" Steve said confidently

"I don't know how close of an eye nat had when she let him walk out of the door this morning by himself" Tony bantered back

"Watch it shell head" She said casually.

Peter got to school in time for the bell, he met up with ned and mj and they sat in their first class.

Ned and Peter sat in the back, while mj isolated herself while she drew people in crisis, in this case the biggest crisis she saw was a kid sticking his gum under his desk, so that was her unusual drawing.

" dude what was it like? Were you scared? What did Tony say to the school about you being gone?"

"Shhh" peter snapped back, he didn't need anyone hearing about anything that had happened.

"I don't know what Mr. Stark said, i'm assuming he just told them I was sick or something. I don't really remember any of it" Peter whispered back honestly.

" You really have a crazy life. You live at THE avengers tower. And Tony Stark is like.. Your dad. Thats wild. Then you get captured by something that literally sounds like a myth. Like something that THE captain america fought. You're like the winter soldier."

Peter flinched slightly, remembering being in the med bay while Bruce cut open the metal around his arm, revealing his real, bruised hand.

Ned noticed his discomfort "Im sorry dude, you know I didn't mean to upset you. But it's just weird, like my best friend is practically an avenger, a legend. But nobody knows!"

Ned starts getting excited "should we tell somebody?"

"No!!" Peter said in a hushed tone but still very urgently.

"Ok, Ok" Ned said while looking down slightly disappointed as the bell rang.

Although it was his first day back the day still went slow

"Hey look who's back. What did you get yourself into this time Parker?" Flash said blocking Peters way in the hall

"Not now flash" Peter said with his head down trying to walk past him. He knew he could easily take him on, but it would give people even more of a reason to question him, and he didn't want anyone to find out about spiderman

"Cmon pete. I haven't seen you in so long and this is my welcome back?" He said, shoving Peter's shoulders.

"Mr Thompson '' a teacher's voice boomed through the halls. Peter took that as his time to escape and he ran outside of the school, prepared to walk to this subway station until he saw one of tonys cars. He didn't know if he would be mad at him for leaving this morning without telling him, but he assumed it would just be Happy, so he slowly walked over.

He opened the car door and got into the passenger's seat without looking.

"Hey happy"

"I feel like you're avoiding me kid, are you avoiding me?" He recognized tony's voice and looked over to see him lowering his glasses so he could look at peter.

"No mr stark, I just, I didn't want to be a burden or anything."

"How many times do I have to tell you? It's tony, and you're not a burden. Can't keep you safe if you don't tell me where you are." He said as he started driving out of the large parking lot.

"I don't need you to worry Mr. Stark '' Peter said with an edgy tone but realizing he was in the wrong so he softened his face.

"Hard not to kiddo" He said in a defeated tone.
He continued driving back to the tower in silence. Peter looked out the window trying to keep eye contact with every tree he passed. Tony pulled into the extremely large garage with all the other expensive cars.

Peter was going to open the car door when he felt tony's hand on his shoulder. He looked at his mentor as he pulled him into a hug across the small console in between them.

Tony rested his chin on Peter's head.

"You're not a burden pete. I know you think you are but you're not. The team laughs a lot more now that you're around and everyone is happier. Just don't want the kid that brought everything together to go away again."

Peter was surprised that tony hugged him, let alone say that but if he was being honest with himself tony was the closest thing he had to home.

Tony's face straightened out and he fixed the collar of his suit.

"Okay let's get inside, '' Tony said, already feeling awkward about what he did. He cared for the kid but he wasn't used to the affection that came with it.

They got out of the expensive car and walked inside, Peter trailing behind. Well that was a big pity move.. No Mr. Stark cares about you dont think like that

"You wanna go make advancements to the suit?" Tony broke him out of his thoughts.

"Yeah sure" Peter breathed out, still distracted. They walked down the stairs into the lab and He took his suit out of his backpack that he always carried with him just in case.

Tony clapped his hands and rubbed them together. "Alright kid let's get to it"