chapter 43

Friday, June 5th, 2020

My parents had signed the forms, informing the school that today would be my last day. They'd had a meeting this morning to discuss what happened with Aubrey.

It was safe to say that dad wasn't happy that no one had been able to stop it. He also wanted Aubrey to be expelled but I was able to explain to him that that wasn't fair. Aubrey had lost her brother because of Nix and despite having anger issues, she was just hurting.

It was lunch and instead of eating, I was cleaning out my locker. My parents had driven me to school today and had said they'd pick me up. I wasn't complaining because my bag would be heavy, but I knew that they were starting to get overprotective again. They were scared that people at school might hurt me.

I guess I didn't blame them.

I sorted through everything, throwing out sheets of old tests I wouldn't need. I rummage through my maths folder and spot a note Harry had given me once. I smooth it out as much as I can but its crumbled and old. The ink as smudged slightly, but I can just read what it says.

Song recommendation: The Night We Met by Lord Huron.

I smile at the memory, running my hands over his neat handwriting.

He'd randomly passed it to me during math class a few months ago. I had pretended that I'd never heard of the song, just so I could get him to tell me all about how good it was. Hearing his voice was enough for me.

Unexpected tears well up in my eyes. I fold up the note neatly, pocketing it. It crinkles in my blazer pocket as I move to wipe my tears.

Someone leans against the locker next to me. I jump, knocking my shoulder against my door.

"You're clearing out your locker?"

I turn away from Kennedy, wiping my teary eyes. I don't turn back to her until I know I won't cry.

"Yeah. I'm leaving."

Kennedy's expression falters momentarily. I almost see a hint of remorse and regret before she covers it up, her expression stoic.

"Where are you going?" she asks, turning towards me.

"Well, my mum got a new job. My parents want a fresh start. Again."

She's quiet for a moment, watching me carefully. "When?"

"We're moving sometime next week. But they've already enrolled me at my new school, so I've gotta clear everything out today."

"They don't muck around then, huh?"

I shake my head, grabbing the last of my books. "No. They're adamant that we start again as quickly as possible."

"So, that—"

"Hey, Ken. I was— oh. Lonnie. Hi."

Sydney comes up next to Kennedy, clearing her throat. She stares at me awkwardly, picking at a thread on her school jumper.